Paralysis in Jersey Calf??

Help Support CattleToday:

Micromoo

Reaction score
My husband and I have a Jersey calf that is about 6 months old now. He has seemed to be very healthy up until this past week. I found him two mornings ago bedded down in the barn unable to get up. He is still not able to stand on his own and to heavy for us to lift for very long. He is still eating and drinking though. Seems very lively in that respect. Does anyone know what the problem may be. We are trying to make him as comfortable as possible. Could his legs have seized up because of the cold weather?

That's something I think I'd ask a vet about. Since you can't load him up, see if you can't get a large animal vet to come out to your place. You might need to pay for the trip up front if you've never used the vet before, but personally, there's no way I'd hazard a guess on this, other than a possible injury of some kind...and as big as the calf is, it would be really hard for ya'll to be able to try to figure that out on your own.

One thing you might try...see if you can get some dexamethazone from a vet. Explain the problem, ask if dexamethazone would cause any problems and if it could also help the calf...and ask the same about banamine.

Alice

Not sure if you get ticks over there...but, tick fever maybe?

Next doors Bull went down for 4 days - had tick fever. ate well, drank well - just couldnt move. we had to roll him over so his legs didnt go completely dead.

Had many a vet out, in the end - none could be of much help, just had to work through it and hope he made it.

Skye.

Ok well, not being a vet, but read alot....still likely not right...but recently read that a number of diseases manifest themselves through full or partial paralysis.... even some pneumonias (sic) Check out the symptoms on the internet......in eather case... the animal being on the cold ground leaves a chill through it's body making it much more open to bacterial and viral invaders........ if you are not giving a pre-emptive dose of antibiotics, check out temps for possible 'silent' infections...otherwise, continue supportive therapy........ummm one last Q......when and how was your animal steered?? if banded was it given tetnas vaccine? :cboy:

Latest posts