Panel Gates

Help Support CattleToday:

JW IN VA

Reaction score
Anyone still buy the galvanized 5 panel gates that were popular in the seventies? We had a bunch put up by the highway dept when they widened the road here in 1975. Thought they were great when they first came out.Until,that is, you made a mistake and put one in a high pressure area.Terrible to catch wind and blow around breaking the hinges.They were better for rust resistance when touching the ground.
I don't know that I've seen a new one in years.

I still have several around, and like them for pasture gates. I'd buy more if I could find them local, but I can't. I know they still make them, but can't find them here.

I have one out here in the assorted gate and panel pile. I would never intentionally buy one. This one came with some other stuff I bought at a farm auction. I paid what the other stuff was worth and this came along for free. I have probably had it for 10 years or more and have yet to be tempted to use it.

the ones you had to reinforce by running inch pipe through the cross pieces so they became as heavy and dragged the ground like an old wood gate? got a few beat up ones around here tied to corrals to repair holes. do they still make them?

If it's the one I'm thinking, I have 40 or 50 of them in various states of disrepair leaned up against a tree.. they're made out of roofing tin.

They sure ain't heavy duty. But they're light and easy to work with and last forever if not used where they get pressured. The ones I have are from the 70s. The longer ones were weak at the hinges, but the 10' and 12' ones here have never been repaired.

re these the gates you were referring to.
http://livestockequineequipment.hutchison-inc.com/viewitems/pasture-horse-gates/panel-gate

I still have 2-3, mostly 4' wide yard gates but do have one 12' gate going out the back of the yard and another at an entrance that doesn't get much use. The gates weren't too terribly bad, but those hinges just plain sucked.
You sure didn't want to leave one open and not tied back very long. Wind would bend the hinges right around the mounting post.
Most I saw around here were Stockman brand I think but I do have one that is no longer used as a gate that says it's a "Larry Mahan" brand.

The gate is still here but the car ain't.
(nor are most of them trees in the background)

If you think the galvanized ones were/are bad, there was a 14' long stamped aluminum gate here when I started. Flimsy don't describe it.

Still have a couple in use between pastures... Now when they are "retired" I put them under the inside of sheds to keep the cows from pushing the siding off. They work great for that.

when growing up seems like they had a "lifetime" tag on them and were referred to as lifetime gates. you could get a laugh when you seen one all beat up with the lifetime tag on it.

Latest posts