Pandemic

Help Support CattleToday:

Its a lot of media hype and rubbish. Here in Australia people have been clogging up clinics and wasting hospital staff's time. It will be interesting to see all those that have died, how malnourished or how sick they were when they contracted the flu. Cleanliness wouldn't be a number one priority in Mexico. Face masks are only a device to stop a person puting their hands near their mouth.The serve very little other use.Apart maybe from someone coughing in your face. The best best defence is wash your hands and keep hands away from face until hands are washed.I really don't think the clean living Americans will need to worry too much. Country folk will be the safest.

Not sure about the hype, because people should be aware of these things, but it is getting out of hand, Dr's giving healthy patients tablets in case they feel ill, I think that is very unethical and unprofessional, as a layman you wouldn't know if it was flu or not, and take something that may harm you, if you have something else, Dr's prescribing I feel should be reprimanded by the local Medical Board be it they Private or General GP Practice. There should be a programme made for World viewing just on this subject, on how it is not caught from Pigs/Hogs, and how it is spread and what we should do if we think we may have the symptoms before crowding the Dr's offices. JMO....

Actually the first cases were traced back to a hog farm in Mexico, that is owned by a US company. And now they have started dieing in the US, two as of last night.

Sure, they can make some of those Hebrew National weiners out of them. They're almost as good as Nathan's. No, wait that's totally wrong, Hebrew Nationals and Nathan's are all beef.

ga. prime":1ynvjcuj said:
Sure, they can make some of those Hebrew National weiners out of them. They're almost as good as Nathan's. No, wait that's totally wrong, Hebrew Nationals and Nathan's are all beef.

Hewbrew National Hot Dogs are :banana: It's been too long since I had one.

HerefordSire":40jk44ov said:
Kosher pork? Ever seen those two words together? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Its not politically correct to speak of a Hebrew's brew.

showing71":2kbfut51 said:
Just saw this on MSN. The WHO raised the alert to pandemic level 5.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30398682?GT1=43001

It is going to go to level 6 soon. Lets hope that the 1918 pandemic does not repeat itself.

This spreading appears to be exponential. Many co-workers are having to find alternate provisions for their little ones because day cares are shutting down. There are a lot of folks from Cleburne who's children will not be attending school this week etc.

Indirectly I am already affected.

I just heard when I was in the field disking that a couple schools are closed in Edmonton. I think they are Catholic schools, don't hold me on that. As I see it, we don't have much to worry about here in Canada or the US. If we just keep taking care of our selves and don't get too stressed out ..... O man us farmers are screwed!!! Stress is part of our lives. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just heard some interesting news. Back in January they tested the judging team and meat lab workers here at school for swine flu, although they weren't calling it back then. A kid got sick so they drew blood on them all.

I thought this article is the best I've read so far. Its from Associated Press. Below is the link and some of the excerpts I thought best shed light on the flu. I think its good to know that its at least peaked in Mexico and leveling off now. Doesnt seem to be as aggressive as some of the news articles or head lines would make you believe.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090429/ap_ ... _swine_flu

"New cases and deaths finally seemed to be leveling off in Mexico, where 160 people have been killed, after an aggressive public health campaign."

"The first U.S. death from the outbreak was a Mexico City toddler who traveled to Texas with family and died Monday night at a Houston hospital."

"In the United States, nearly 100 have been sickened in 11 states."

"a closer look at daily admissions and deaths at Mexico's public hospitals suggests the outbreak may have peaked"

We need to do a better job in some how getting legitimate information to the city slicker public. They believe every word they hear on their TVs. Dam hard to defend a lie.

I wrote NCBA about makin a general membership that was more affordable for the general public. Thought we should be able to get the average Joe to join if the price was right. They wrote back and said we have a general membership for $100. Never got further than that. You would think they could offer a lot cheaper membership for the general public. I could get a lot of family and friends to join if the price was better; but there aint no way you will find me askin them to pay $100 for a membership. That's just it all these enviro groups have funds comin in left and right; and we have a $100 membership take it or leave it. I'm not sayin this is how we will teach city slickers; but if you were to tell Johnny and Jill that $20 a year will go towards affordable steaks and keepin them on there plate. I'm sure they could find $20; throw in a four times a year 8x11 flyer about happenins and such. They could learn a thing or two.

HerefordSire":3rf7dpuq said:
Word on the street is Fort Worth Schools are closed...80,000 students.

Yes, indeed. All Fort Worth schools except for essential personnel, are closed unitl May 8th. Interesting because we are in the middle of TAKS testing. I hope the state grants a waver on the days they will have to make up.

Two teachers went home sick yesterday where I work. We will see today whether or not it was from the flu. We sent home letters yesterday explaining that we have no suspected cases so far. One of those teachers who went home was really sick. The other, well, let's just say that he's a wuss. He had some body aches, (welcome to my world), and that he wanted to go home and call his doctor just in case. I think he wanted to get out of his TAKS duties. I hope he doesn't have it because I have subbed his classes for the last two days.