palpating...

Help Support CattleToday:

jmbadavis

Reaction score
How many people palpate their own heifers? We are relatively new to beef but it is something I would really like to learn. Does anyone have any ideas where I can go to find out more? Do genetic companies offer classes? What the risks involved in palpating your own heifers?

jmbadavis":1vw4gmhd said:
How many people palpate their own heifers? We are relatively new to beef but it is something I would really like to learn. Does anyone have any ideas where I can go to find out more? Do genetic companies offer classes? What the risks involved in palpating your own heifers?

Dou you mean preg checking, or palpating to see if everything is right inside? I preg check all of our own animals, both heifers and cows.

Best thing to do, if you want to palpate your own cows, is go take a course. You'll learn more in a weeks time than you could ever learn doin it by yourself with no instructions. I took a course offered by a semen company. You might try that route first. If they don't offer one at your nearest semen dealer, ask them they can probably direct you to someone doin a course. It cost about $500 for the one I took, but then after your certified, some give a discount on A-I and palpatin equipment. Then practice practice practice. The more you do it, the better you get at callin em.

I am going this fall to an AI/Palpation clinic in College Station/Bryan. The company is Bovine Elite. A little nervous about it but I think it is the best thing I can do to grow my herd and learn as much as I can. Unfortunately I have to wait until November to go so I am losing precious breeding time....