Palpating short bred cows

Help Support CattleToday:

sidney411

Reaction score
I took in a few heifers to be palpated at the vet. I was expecting them to be at least 4 mts bred but 1 was 60 days and 1 was open. He said there was a chance of reabsorption from palpating a short bred cow. Does anyone know what is the percentage rate of reabsorption due to palpating short bred cows? The one that was open he said her reproductive tract was small like she had not been cycling regularly. He suggested a shot of lutalyse, but I opted against it just in case she was bred. What would you do? (They are our 1st registered heifers so I don't want to ship them if I can keep from it, my goal is to get heifer's from them, I know I just jinxed myself and I will only get bulls from them :lol: ) T.I.A.

I was told there is a natural 15 % abosorbtion rate for just about any cattle. Alot has to do with the physical shape the animal is in. Too fat or too thin can cause animals not to settle. Stress and excitement can also cause a sluff of a calve. I have been keeping a high phosphorus mineral during breeding time. Vet told me it will help them settle. Also remeber they are heifers. If you have my luc kthey will be looking like champs and breed as if they were not.

Scotty

Sid,
I probably wouldn't have given the Lute either. Put a Karmar, tail paint, or an Estrus alert on them and turn them out with the bull.

If the vet said she was open he is probably right. Many vets can tell easily at 45 days. SO, if you need to wait 30 to 45 more days to have her checked again, and it is not no high dollar semen you spent to get her bred with (if you AI'd),... and she is just being bred naturally to a bull you have..(which I assume based on the time spread in conceptions)...why wait.? Give her that shot, put her in heat, (or make her abort the very short conception..if any..you will probaly loose less than 30 days), and like certherfbeef said: put a patch on her to make sure she is capable of heat! Breed her to a "live" bull who's semen you know is good or you know is an effective breeder. You are wasting time now which could be used to keep her from being too far out of your calving window. Heck, you even need to make sure she is capable of breeding! If it is the same sire she will be bred too and the resulting calf would be the same, than getting her to cycle immeadiately would be a high priority. Now you will know if she is jumped, when she was jumped, and in 45 days if she ain't bred...ship her.

Scotty":u4qnbqpa said:
I was told there is a natural 15 % abosorbtion rate for just about any cattle...

Scotty

Am I to understanding you correctly? Are saying that 15% of bred cows will abort or absorb their fetus's?

Well, the vet is new at the clinic. He is the only one that has ever told me that. I was just wondering what the chance is of her reabsorbing since he did mention it. I want to know her due date since she is a heifer I want to be able to pull them up into a smaller pasture for observation but not too soon so the grass doesn't play out in the small section. I have them running with a bull so that's not a problem, but I dont want to have them palpated again in 60 days if there is a higher chance of reabsorption from the palpating. Then I would be right back where I started. Is the a point in gestation where palpataion is safe? say after the 1st trimester?

We've never had a cow or heifer palpated bred at 45 days that didn't end up calving to that breeding. If the vet knows what he/she/it is doing, there alwasy a chance of something happening, but the odds are mighty, mighty slim.
Before 45 days there is a greater chance that she will slip the calf.

dun