Palomino TWH Arrived Today

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
Here's our new TWH Stallion, "Dusty's Royal Flush". He's got 16 ancestors of the "old bloodlines" (aka Plantation flat shod type). We do not do the "Big Lick" TWH's since we feel they have little utility outside of the show ring; which, incidentally we do not participate in. He's considered to be a "Dusty Palomino" or a "Chocolate Palomino". Has a beautiful long "palomino" mane, forelock, and tail!

We're looking forward to his get from our mares in late 2007 or 2008. He is 12 yrs old, born & raised in Tennessee, and is 16 HH. Very nice temperament. We are very pleased with this purchase. :D

chance8.jpg
[/img]

Congrats on your new addition, should make you a great stud. Does TWH AI, if so does he collect?

Alan

Alan":iobwzdit said:
Congrats on your new addition, should make you a great stud. Does TWH AI, if so does he collect?

Alan

Yes, TWH do A.I. "Chance" has been semen tested with very good semen earlier. He has not been tested again since he arrived. Will probably do re-test on him when he has acclimated at RAF in 2007.

At present, I think some horses are suitable for frozen semen. Most others are suitable (proven history) for fresh semen. We think "Chance" might be appropriate for the frozen type. Depends on what the A.I. Vet determines. If he can provide quality frozen straws, that would be a great plus!! As I'm sure you know, frozen horse semen has historically been a touch tricky as opposed to fresh semen.

"Chance" will probably be listed in the "Heritage Horse Society" registry as one of the old plantation flat shod lines. They only need 6 ancestors with the lineage--he has 16. All pending on the Society receiving a video of his gaiting for final approval.

Bill.

Running Arrow Bill":fyne9gwa said:
Alan":fyne9gwa said:

Alan

Yes, TWH do A.I. "Chance" has been semen tested with very good semen earlier. He has not been tested again since he arrived. Will probably do re-test on him when he has acclimated at RAF in 2007.

At present, I think some horses are suitable for frozen semen. Most others are suitable (proven history) for fresh semen. We think "Chance" will be appropriate for the frozen type. Depends on what the A.I. Vet determines. If he can provide quality frozen straws, that would be a great plus!! As I'm sure you know, frozen horse semen has historically been a touch tricky as opposed to fresh semen.

"Chance" will probably be listed in the "Heritage Horse Society" registry as one of the old plantation flat shod lines. They only need 6 ancestors with the lineage--he has 16. All pending on the Society receiving a video of his gaiting for final approval.

Bill.

Sounds like you got a stud to be proud of!, Yea, frozen is touchy on both ends. I tend to stay away from it because of the techs on the mares end that can't get the mare bred, although I never have tried frozen. Techs seem to prefer cooled out here. Let us know how the Heritage Horse Society decides. Is flat shod lines like the QH foundation lines?

Alan

With the delivery available today the only reason I can see for frozen semen is to save it for the distant future. It's possible to have a mare come in season and get delivery of fresh chilled semen within 24 hours, maybe 16 depending on where you are.
Are you limiting the type of mares you'll breed to? I think it's better to maintain those old foundation bloodlines if at all possible. Of course I do not breed anymore. I don't have the place or patience for it.

peg4x4":1ybznbwo said:
He's absolutely gorgous! Do you have a vidio of him moveing?

Thanks Peg!!

Video is pending as soon as we get through with processing 5 or 6 Longhorns for pending sale to Tennessee. Also need video to complete our application to the TWH Heritage Society listing.

Yes, when my wife got him here, I was just amazed! Beautiful main, forelock, tail. Great conformation IMO. Considering he had been stabled (with turnout) for several years and then he got here to his own paddock & shed, he led and and behaved very well. He pays attention, listens to you, and will come to you readily. Have great hopes for him as our 2nd TWH Stallion.

His lineage includes several WGC's and some 16 TWH's from the 1930's and 1940's period with plantation flat shod ancestors. With our other bay TWH stallion, we are trying to breed & raise TWH's for trail, pleasure use that have "natural" gaits and great temperaments. We don't do the "fake" events like the Big Lick scene. We want to have horses that have the old time "utility" that are also a pleasure to ride and are safe. :)

On our website we also have photos of our other TWH Stallion, "Mack K Shaker's Cajun" and some of his get. "Cajun" is a rather laid back mahogany bay Stallion 14.3 HH that has produced some very nice foals for us who have been easily trained and have impressed his trainers.

Best of luck to you in your endeavors with your new stallion.

I guess if the USDA ever enforces "thermography testing" at shows, I know I would be back to showing in a heartbeat. At least then it would be a level playing field, the horse's real talents and who rides their horse and gets them timed.

Latest posts