Pairs and some calves

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
#40, Shorthorn x Angus cow with Hereford sired calf.
Born Mar 14, BW 113, WW 721
xy_DSC00914.jpg

#143, 2 year old Shorthorn x Gelbveih cow with Angus sired calf.
Born Feb 27, BW 86, WW 614
xy_DSC00907.jpg

#7, 10 year old Angus x cow with Angus sired calf.
born Mar 16, BW 93, WW 650
xy_DSC00905.jpg

#122, 2 year old Angus x ?? cow with Angus sired calf.
Born Mar 10, BW 55, WW 483
xy_DSC00896.jpg

Angus sired calves,
#5a, twin out of 10 year old RA cow. Born Mar 31. BW 69 WW 504
#156 out of 2 year old ANx cow. Born Feb 20, BW 71, WW 554
#56 out of 11 year old AN cow. Born Apr 3, BW 95, WW 514
xy_DSC00901.jpg

Calf out of the Father in laws herd. We plan to buy her from the estate. Probably weighs 600+ lbs
xy_DSC00902.jpg

#94 out of 7 year old HH x AN cow, AN sired.
Born Mar 10, BW 84, WW 571
xy_DSC00908.jpg

Thanks for sharing your pics, Randi. Just out of curiosity, how cold was it when you took these pics?

Well, I gotta think about that. They were taken yesterday, probably in the +5 to +10 Celcius range. And it was a rainy misty day. Not very nice.

I wondered if they had started to put on heavy coat or were just naturally 'fuzzy' as I know some of the shorthorns I've seen are kinda hairy. And for some reason, it looked cold to me. And yeah, 40 degrees F is getting close to cold for me! Nice cattle, and they all look fat and happy! :D

farmwriter":2i8nhpex said:
I wondered if they had started to put on heavy coat or were just naturally 'fuzzy' as I know some of the shorthorns I've seen are kinda hairy. And for some reason, it looked cold to me. And yeah, 40 degrees F is getting close to cold for me! Nice cattle, and they all look fat and happy! :D

Well, a lot of them are naturally fuzzy, but, yes, they are putting their winter coats on now. We can still have some pretty nice weather yet, but it can turn into winter any time now too.

crimsoncrazy":3cis8s38 said:
nice lookin cattle...how cold does it get there? are some of those stubby ears from frostbite?

Oh, yes, those stubby ears are from frost bite. We had some really, really nasty weather for calving this year. Usually March is fairly nice, but not this year, we had temps down to -40 C earlier in March, it is pretty hard to keep those ears whole in that kind of weather.

As for how cold it gets, -40 C is usually about the limit, but it has been known to drop below that on occaision. Last winter and this spring were about the nastiest we've had in a loooong time.

Latest posts