paint horse

Help Support CattleToday:

Man, ya'll are hard on that horse. There's nothing wrong with that filly that some hours, feed, and a buddy won't fix. I personally prefer "babies" to be untouched when I go to start them, simply because its easier to start a young horse when you don't have to undo other people's mistakes.

Looks to me like that filly has some thoroughbred in her hence the light frame as a 2 yr old. Seems to me that the TB crosses tend to mature a bit later than a straight APHA or QH does and don't seem to bulk out like they do either. The gelding below is a TB cross, and looked just like that filly as a 2 yr old. He's now 15.1 hands and is weighing in at 1150 as a 6 yr old. While his muscle structure is more elongated than a QH, I sure wouldn't consider him a lightweight horse. He's also one who will get into trouble with cows if he's alone with them. He tries to "buddy up" with them in a horse kind of way. The only catch is that cows speak a different language, and don't get why he's chasing them. Point being that he's a different horse when he has a pasture buddy of his own kind with him.

Here in my part of Texas, that filly would bring around $1000 easy. If she were here, I would start advertising her at $1200 to $1500, and plan on getting between $800 to $1000 for her. However, different areas will dictate different markets. Maybe if you went to somewhere like http://www.americanclassifieds.com, and looked for horses in your area, it would give you an idea of what horses of her age and training (or lack thereof) are going for. Key is to let potential buyers know that she will need an experienced horseperson to get her going. As was stated above, she's not for a 4-H'er or beginner.

Jazz.jpg

In Alabama I could probably get $700 for it, $800 if I could get it too lead (probably not worth the effort). The horse itself is very mediocre (~$500); but the striking Paint color pattern adds maybe another $200. If we were in Alabama, I might offer you about $500 and waste a year turning it into a $1000-$1500 horse (if I didn't just end up losing money on the deal). I suspect you are going to struggle to get even that there. Find your local horse auction barn and run it through; you should get your gas money and enough to buy a week's worth of groceries back. Beyond that???

I would take the picture you have and place an add at your local feed store and put in the add that states that she has cattle experiance :lol2: or use the phrase that most cowboys do " She has cow sense" :lol: There should be no reason that if you place a simple add and price her for $500.00 OBO you should get alot of calls on her. Good luck[/b]

:heart: I don;t know how old your post is, I am willing too take that beautiful thing off your hands,I own a rescue ranch. You need too find out more info, like does the land owner know about this horse,about who might own it? and what ever else you can find out. You can contact me.<Karen

new at this, but if i were you...i, also would put a price and head to the nearest sales barn...any horse you can't use, physically, emotionally, or for SOME good reason, is a financial problem...believe me, i know...someone come to my rescue!!!hope all goes well for you and yours...from me, my horse and the extremely fortunate vet...mell...really, don't allow anything to keep you from what you know you can handle.it's really controversial but deep down, we all know what we are able to handle...good luck...mell

hey, just wanna say that there are a few participants that i really enjoy readin', and alan, you are one. thanks always for your expertise and advice...very worth hearin'...mell

Latest posts