paint horse

Help Support CattleToday:

tm_bk20

Reaction score
sorry but im not a horse person, ive leased some land and got some cattle, the owner of the land lives in a diffrent state.
my problem is he left a paint horse on the place thats giving me fits and I would like to get rid of it. The owner told me to sell it if I could. But not knowing any thing about horses I dont know what it worth. 2 to 4 year old paint mare thats been broke. can anyone give me some idea what this horse maybe worth.

maybe you need to check with greenherefords...he likes paints. LOL
If that wont work run an ad and say "Make Offer". Dont sell him until you get 4 or 5 people look at him. they should be able to tell you better than us. Good luck

MVC-118F.jpg
[/img]

Do you have paper's on her? Is she double registered? The reason that I ask is because if she is, then you could probably get at least $2000.00 or more. They start out at $1500.00 for them when they are just 3 or 4 months old.

mom

TxSimbrahShower":3o3lu5yv said:
Do you have paper's on her? Is she double registered? The reason that I ask is because if she is, then you could probably get at least $2000.00 or more. They start out at $1500.00 for them when they are just 3 or 4 months old.

mom

shes not my horse but Ill find out more info on her as soon as I can. I did find out that shes only a 2 year old

TxSimbrahShower":mmkyug8o said:

mom

Boy, the horse market is a whole lot better in Texas than it is here! Based on what has been presented, I doubt that horse would bring 500.00 here.

Beefy":mo6n9wv9 said:
define "giving me fits."

kicking cattle,she kicked one it the head, one on the leg, one in the stomach, she ran 11 head through a cross fence saturday, just to mention a few things. hey she does well when shes with others horses. The owner had another horse with her the first couple a months I was there, no problem,
he sold the other horse since then she been a thorn in my side and my cattle.

msscamp":3qthj0r8 said:
TxSimbrahShower":3qthj0r8 said:

mom

Boy, the horse market is a whole lot better in Texas than it is here! Based on what has been presented, I doubt that horse would bring 500.00 here.

If she was mine you could get her heck of alot cheaper than 500.00. if you would buy my gas I would deliver the #!$^#$%#

tm_bk20":2jgwzhqw said:
If she was mine you could get her heck of alot cheaper than 500.00. if you would buy my gas I would deliver the #!$^#$%#
Sounds to me like the Shoot shovel shutup method would suit.
Shoot her and then tell the absentee owner you only got $300 for her. Might be money out of your pocket but she would be gone.

I too believe $2000 is too much for her. She would bring about 300 to 500 here w/o papers. If she is causing that much trouble I would call a couple of boarding or training stables and let them spread the word that you have a free horse to get rid of, come and get her. If you want to spend the money for a news paper classified ad you'll get a quicker response. Sounds like right now she is costing you money, don't worry about making money. You may want to get something in writting from the horse/land owner stating it okay to get rid of the horse.

JMO
Alan

Muratic":zrefskir said:
tm_bk20":zrefskir said:
Sounds to me like the Shoot shovel shutup method would suit.
Shoot her and then tell the absentee owner you only got $300 for her. Might be money out of your pocket but she would be gone.

I appreciate the advice but shooting a perfectly healthy animal
just isnt my cup a tea, if Im able to get permission to sell her ill just give to someone thats got some horses or take her to the sale

Well, you hold the lease and the owner of this animal has stated you can sell it if you find a buyer.

First and foremost - horses like this are cheaper than borscht. Folks like to think almost anything with a mane, tail and 4 hooves is of value. But this sounds like an untrained animal - light frame, but reasonably muscled and young.

To me it has no value. IF and I stress IF you can find a buyer - it may bring a few hundred bucks. There are so many horses out there that are for sale - this one brings nothing to the table in the line of ability, training, capability and so on that makes it stand out. It's a meat horse unless you have additional to add to the story.

Round it up and take it to the nearest sale barn - if the present owner was serious - you will find someone willing to bid on it. Send him the cheque and you are shed of the problem.

Bez

Bez":31eyvaz1 said:
Well, you hold the lease and the owner of this animal has stated you can sell it if you find a buyer.

First and foremost - horses like this are cheaper than borscht. Folks like to think almost anything with a mane, tail and 4 hooves is of value. But this sounds like an untrained animal - light frame, but reasonably muscled and young.

To me it has no value. IF and I stress IF you can find a buyer - it may bring a few hundred bucks. There are so many horses out there that are for sale - this one brings nothing to the table in the line of ability, training, capability and so on that makes it stand out. It's a meat horse unless you have additional to add to the story.

Round it up and take it to the nearest sale barn - if the present owner was serious - you will find someone willing to bid on it. Send him the cheque and you are shed of the problem.

Bez

Sorry Bez, I have to disagree with you on this. This horse does have value and certainly is better than a meat horse. After reading your reply on loving appy's, I would think you are down on horses today :D . While this horse seems to be untrained and likes to get into mischief, I wouldn't call it a lost cause. It shouldn't be hard to find it a good home for next to nothing, at least at no additional cost to bk20. The horse is well marked and has some attraction to her. She is young and undeveloped. She is certainly worth more as a two year old than the meat market. But she needs to go to a experianced horse person, not a young 4-H'er or someones first horse. She'll be dangerous or deadly for a while.

Alan

Alan

Nope - not down on horses - just down on folks that think every animal has a couple grand (or whatever) of value in 'em.

Trained I agree they have value.

Horse numbers are truly high - lots out there. And some darned good ones as well.

I figured this animal to be reasonably well put together as I stated. But sales and advertisements for horses are a dime a dozen - as well some of those advertisements run for ever with no takers. "Gate run" horses can be bought in my part of the country for 35 - 45 cents on the pound.

That pony is pretty and it's raw. No real value to most. Nothing to bring to the table unless you want to do the extra work. Some may take it for pennies and put some time into it. Most would not.

As for the Appy - she (the owner) knows next to nothing about horses as she stated - and this horse is more than she can handle. She stated no one wants to buy it. Trouble with a capital T. (Song here?) Would you want your daughter in this situation?

Probably not. Best to ship and and learn the lesson early in life. Next one she buys should be a bomb proof animal that she rides and works with before she takes it home.

No change in my opinion - but we all have 'em. Both animals can go to the sale barn tomorrow - someone may buy them to work - or thay may go to the dreaded plant. Either way problem solved. Just hate throwing money at animals that cannot pay their way.

Regards,

Bez

Bez":a943nks2 said:
Nope - not down on horses - just down on folks that think every animal has a couple grand (or whatever) of value in 'em.

This part I agree 100%, I have a hard time with people that breed to the pretty black & white horse or to the dun, just because they like the color or always wanted one.

The appy I agree needs to go to a professional trainer (if the owner can't or does'nt want to try stopping her from pulling back in the ties) or to the canner, she may never be right. Appys are so darn hard headed (imo).

The paint on the other hand has never been given a chance. From what I can tell from the picture, which may not be giving a fair view of the filly, she's not one to rebreed, I don't like the way she is put together. But if she is a freebie to some good ethical trainer I bet the filly would do fine in most homes and the trainer would turn a profit. Key word her be ethical, not someone that puts 30 days on it and sells it to the first warm body through the doors. She looks like a 2 yr old ready to start.

JMO (Again :lol: )
Alan

I am interested in your 2year old paint mare that is giving you fits. My husband is ahorse person. We think we can handle her. My 10 year old paint that looks just like her has developed severe laminitas and my six year old daughter is devesated as well as myself and husband. Please let me buy her! My email is [email protected] Thanks! Sharon eddings Nacogdoches Texas

I know alot of people that leave their horse out to pasture untill they are two and then bring them in and break them. I don't think that it is to late for her to brake but the only use I can see her having is a trail horse, and from what I see if you have a junker horse that you can't do anything you mark it as trail horse. She could posibly be a kids horse if you found the right trainer but I dont know if she has the disposition.

kaneranch":7szowsb2 said:
I know alot of people that leave their horse out to pasture untill they are two and then bring them in and break them.

Ditto, (prefer the words "start them") she's not too old and you have someone who even wants to buy her, hope it works out well!

Alan

Latest posts