Paint for corral

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

We have a good corral, but it's getting really rusted where the paint has flaked off. We're sending the kids out with dustmasks and sandpaper to sand the rails down this summer.

But I want a good paint, one that will bond to the metal well. Any suggestions? Spray paint would be great - kids can do that too. :)

Thanks. Lisa

[email protected]

> We have a good corral, but it's
> getting really rusted where the
> paint has flaked off. We're
> sending the kids out with
> dustmasks and sandpaper to sand
> the rails down this summer.

> But I want a good paint, one that
> will bond to the metal well. Any
> suggestions? Spray paint would be
> great - kids can do that too. :)

> Thanks. Lisa

A freind of mine used the paint road crews use to paint lines on the highway. That was 15 yrs ago and the rails still look great, just a little faded. I don't know where he got it but I remember that he commented that is was very expensive. Still, might be a great bargain in that we repainted our feedlot using ordinary paint, within one year it looked as bad as before. Can you live with yellow or white??? Hope this helps.

For metal fencing: There is a mild phosphoric acid solution you can buy at better paint stores to first treat the metal, then brush off the residue before painting. THEN, prime with an oil-based Red Oxide Primer which retards and prevents(?) future rusting. FINALLY, paint with a quality oil-based "implement or equipment" paint. We've used this system for repainting equipment and our pipe fencing things with success. Quality paint is a must in any event: expect to pay $25 to 30. a gallon for the paint, more or less. Hope this helps.

[email protected]

Thank you both! As for the road paint - we can probably get some through my husband's work. Yellow or white - lol - as long as it does it's job, I don't care what color it is. :)

I'll check with the paint stores too. Sounds like quite a process, and one that I might not fully trust the kids with. Looks like it might be a job for mom and dad after they sand it. But that's okay. :)

Thanks again!

YSIC Lisa

[email protected]

We bought a whole new WandW corral and within one year it was totally rusted - they identified that their paint supplier left something out. Then they gave us a totally new corral, but some of it has also rusted. We bought back some of the older panels to expand.

Gemplers has a water based rust converter. You first wire brush the worst rust off, then apply two coats of the converter and then top it off with an oil based paint. I did this about 9 months ago, and except in a few areas it looks very good. I have some more to do, so Gempler's Rust converter is what I will use. Good luck.

Latest posts