Pain in the you know what!

Help Support CattleToday:

Lancemart...you are right to check on the Hefefords, they love the attention, not to mention the stress relieving therapy that comes from talking to cows. Seems like there is always one heifer that forms a special bond and won't leave you alone. Once they are big enough to slaughter, (we use the term "process" with our customers) the attachment will weaken as you anticipate the taste of beef that you have raised. We have a special Baldie steer that is almost finished that follows Dave aroung like a puppy, he says its just another $$$ on the hoof but I know better...we'll see come Sept.
Really enjoy the postings on Oliva's progress...keep asking questions. Susie

Susie David":35j99nis said:
Lancemart...you are right to check on the Hefefords, they love the attention, not to mention the stress relieving therapy that comes from talking to cows. Seems like there is always one heifer that forms a special bond and won't leave you alone. Once they are big enough to slaughter, (we use the term "process" with our customers) the attachment will weaken as you anticipate the taste of beef that you have raised. We have a special Baldie steer that is almost finished that follows Dave aroung like a puppy, he says its just another $$$ on the hoof but I know better...we'll see come Sept.
Really enjoy the postings on Oliva's progress...keep asking questions. Susie
Susie
I have a really gentle bull (Polled Herford) that is 1 1/2 years old. He is more affectionate than my two herfords. Everyone keeps warning me that he will get mean. Does that happen all the time, and at what age?
He is afraid of me when I yell at him now.

ELVIS, that's name for the calf if it's a bull. ELVIRA is my suggestion if it's a heiffer.

Elvis has left the building.

Dick

icandoit":c2eh3b4y said:
ELVIS, that's name for the calf if it's a bull. ELVIRA is my suggestion if it's a heiffer.

Dick

How about Newton if it's a heifer and John if it's a bull? Seems to work well with Olivia

dun

lancemart":33d8r6oy said:
I have a really gentle bull (Polled Herford) that is 1 1/2 years old. He is more affectionate than my two herfords. Everyone keeps warning me that he will get mean. Does that happen all the time, and at what age?
He is afraid of me when I yell at him now.

Lance I'm not Susie but I do have some experience with Hereford bulls. We have had a couple registered polled Hereford bulls and currently have an 8 year old Hereford cross bull around 2K pounds. His sire was a registered top line Hereford bull. He is a very calm bull and always has been. I can walk around him closely in the fields and have no problems with him in tight quarters. To say they will turn mean is NOT the norm for a Hereford bull. As with all bulls though keep one eye on him at all times. This is one of our home grown herd bulls. The old boy still throws some really nice calves.

dun":2mrhhixh said:
icandoit":2mrhhixh said:

Dick

How about Newton if it's a heifer and John if it's a bull? Seems to work well with Olivia

dun
Just don't name him Elton, you wont ever see any Calves.

Latest posts