"Paddock" Cattle (pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

SRBeef

Reaction score
As I read here and travel around the country I become more aware of the many different types of operations and different ways of raising cattle. There are the large scale western & Canadian ranch cattle systems and maybe the more central/corn belt/south and east cattle systems. Some folks call the two "ranch" cattle and "paddock" cattle.

These are certainly two very different ways of raising cattle. There are probably other ways to raise them, but my Herefords certainly fit into the "paddock" cattle category with rotational grazing, lanes that come together at a waterer like a London roundabout, hay in feeders, etc.

Hopefully we can agree that paddock and range are different ways of raising cattle, probably with all sorts of variations in between, and one is not better or worse than the other, but just different - largely because of different resources available.

Here are a couple more pictures of my "Paddock" cattle from the past day or two. I have got to get my steers to the processor next week and get to strip tilling and corn planting. I told myself I will not be planting corn into June this year!

On the topic of flies, I put up a couple more rubs I had around. Stretched one over the lane open to my bull and he really got into it. If you put these up make sure you have them secured well. edit: you can see in the photos below how the rubs have almost eliminated face flies. They had quite a few flies the week before I put the rub back up for the season.

IMG_0209_Bullunderrubs.jpg

66 is one of my favorites and doing what she does best - raising a great calf. Seems like every time you look at her she's feeding her calf. Keeps close watch on him too.

IMG_0187_66_with_6610_041410.jpg

Heifer #3 is one of my replacements I am keeping that has a low body type I really want to see more of in my herd - more efficient in my system and I am pretty sure she will wean over 50% of her weight as a cow.

IMG_0192_Yearling_Heifer_3_041410.jpg

Also a picture of a registered heifer (913) I purchased to get some outside genetics in my herd. She is from out west (ND) and evidently (eyes closed) not used to having her picture taken as much as my other cattle!

IMG_0201_913_Heifer_041410.jpg

I will add a picture of one of my "scruffiest" looking cows, #39 nursing her new heifer calf. She looks especially scruffy now that she and others are losing their winter coats.

IMG_0185_Scruffy_39_with_heifer_cal.jpg

This 39 is a 1200 lb cow that if you just look at her you say she has to go. But she weans the calf with the best percent of cow weight of any cow I've got. And decent calves. Probably makes more money than any of the sharper looking cows. Lots of different ways to raise cattle. FWIW. Jim

Latest posts