P1584 trouble code - Dodge Ram

Help Support CattleToday:

TXBobcat

Reaction score
I have a Dodge Ram 1500, 318 V8, 2wd with 140,000 miles. Yesterday, while driving the check gages light came on and the voltage gage pegged out for a little bit, then went back down.

I checked for a fault code when I got home by doing the key on-off-on-off-on thing and got a P1594 - charging system voltage too high. Does this mean the alternator needs to be replaced?

Today I plan to check if the battery has 12 volts output without engine running and 13-14 volts while running. If it is not in this range, could that also mean the alternator is bad?

I think the battery is about 1 year old, but I will have to double check.

Well you didnt state what year the truck was? I am assuming that it must be a 96 or newer becuase of the p code. The electronic voltage regulator may be the cause and in 97 year that is part of the computer and not serviced seperatly ( bad news I know) Hope its the alternator but sounds like the regulator is throwing fits. JHH

I had a D350 that did that .The dealership said it was a computer. Took it to another mech. He look at the wire bundle that was laying on the valve cover in the back. The wire was rubbed bare put some tape on it and every thing was fine. Hope this helps.

TXBobcat":3onawcvb said:
I have a Dodge Ram 1500, 318 V8, 2wd with 140,000 miles. Yesterday, while driving the check gages light came on and the voltage gage pegged out for a little bit, then went back down.

I checked for a fault code when I got home by doing the key on-off-on-off-on thing and got a P1594 - charging system voltage too high. Does this mean the alternator needs to be replaced?

Today I plan to check if the battery has 12 volts output without engine running and 13-14 volts while running. If it is not in this range, could that also mean the alternator is bad?

I think the battery is about 1 year old, but I will have to double check.

I will look it up all vehicles after 96 are equiped with OBD2 per goverment standard and code standardization.

My Dodge is a 2000 year model.

I took the truck by O'reilly's and had them put their tester on it. They said the alternator was OK; however, he said that the connection at my battery terminal needed to be cleaned (which it did), and that my have caused the voltage spike.

Anyway, I have cleaned the battery terminals/cables and put some gel on them. Hopefully I won't have anymore trouble for a while.

TXBobcat":2w37fgmd said:

That P1594 code means:YOU SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A FORD!

Or thats what the dodge website said anyhowways ;-)