Oxytetracyline-Vitamin B Complex Question

Help Support CattleToday:

josh90

Reaction score
I was just wondering if I can mix oxytetracyline, and vitamin b complex in one shot? Or do I have to give two seperate injections?

Thanks,
Josh

I don't see anything inherently wrong with mixing the two -- sometimes when running a cocktail of meds IV, oxytet and vitamin B will end up in the same bag -- but I'd suggest doing two separate shots. It's too easy to accidently mix meds when filling a syringe out of multiple bottles, and it's not that big a deal to give two shots.

josh90":48jbgb31 said:
I was just wondering if I can mix oxytetracyline, and vitamin b complex in one shot? Or do I have to give two seperate injections?

Thanks,
Josh

What the heck is the problem? Maybe you should see a doctor. Oxytetracyline, I had to look it up, is for acne. I think you can eat fish for b complex. Stop jabbing yourself with needles. ;-)

Tatertot":1fz6bi1f said:
Oxytetracyline, I had to look it up, is for acne.

I don't really know where your information came from but maybe try looking it up again.... ;-)

The carriers of the different active ingredients often plays a bigger role in deciding whether different medications can be mixed than the active ingredients itself.

I can't see what you have to gain by giving it in one shot instead of 2.

hillsdown":15g5gaz5 said:
You can give vitamins orally as well ; which I prefer to do, rather than needling them more than I have to.

Studies show that B vitamins (with the possible exception of niacin) when given orally never make it past the rumen. The microbes use it up. Ruminants get all the B vitamins they need from digesting rumen bacteria. When ruminants need B vitamins it's because something is going wrong in the rumen so it's better to inject it.

Tatertot":3dg2575l said:
josh90":3dg2575l said:

Thanks,
Josh

What the heck is the problem? Maybe you should see a doctor. Oxytetracyline, I had to look it up, is for acne. I think you can eat fish for b complex. Stop jabbing yourself with needles. ;-)

And the biggest loser award goes to "Tater".. :clap: :clap: :clap:

TexasBred":zxmfn92u said:
Tatertot":zxmfn92u said:
josh90":zxmfn92u said:

Thanks,
Josh

And the biggest loser award goes to "Tater".. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Awww. Thats not very creative.

What does Texasbred mean? Did some guy named Tex throw you down and jack hammer your backside?

sciencegal":gczbj1x7 said:
hillsdown":gczbj1x7 said:
You can give vitamins orally as well ; which I prefer to do, rather than needling them more than I have to.

Studies show that B vitamins (with the possible exception of niacin) when given orally never make it past the rumen. The microbes use it up. Ruminants get all the B vitamins they need from digesting rumen bacteria. When ruminants need B vitamins it's because something is going wrong in the rumen so it's better to inject it.

Interesting, I have been trying to find some new studies but have come up empty. I was told that it was a decrease in absorption of about 40 - 75 % so to adjust dosage accordingly .
Usually if I have a sick calf it is getting electrolytes anyways so the vitamins are just added to that and the calf is tubed..

I will have to ask my vet again about the break down of b12 and no absorption into the animal when given orally just through a syringe.

hillsdown":259cmtsl said:
sciencegal":259cmtsl said:
hillsdown":259cmtsl said:

Interesting, I have been trying to find some new studies but have come up empty. I was told that it was a decrease in absorption of about 40 - 75 % so to adjust dosage accordingly .
Usually if I have a sick calf it is getting electrolytes anyways so the vitamins are just added to that and the calf is tubed..

I will have to ask my vet again about the break down of b12 and no absorption into the animal when given orally just through a syringe.

You can give B's orally to a preruminating calf, although they would work quicker if injected. It's the microbes in the mature rumen that use up the B vitamins. I recently wrote an article for the Dairy Goat Journal on this subject and found quite a bit of recent research into the fate of oral B vitamins in dairy cows. Although it's not exactly certain what happens to the oral vitamins, little make it past the abomasum. "They" are looking for ways to ruminally protect oral B's for high producing dairy cattle. The requirements of these high producing animals are higher than the microbes can naturally keep up with.

Latest posts