Oxtail soup or stew recipe needed

Help Support CattleToday:

Just like chikcen soup/stew except you use oxtails instead of chicken

Keep the oxtail but here's an easy stew recipe, made a bunch the other night. I just toss everything in a crock pot and set it to low and walk away for 6 to 8 hrs.

Cut up 1 to 1.5 lbs of stew meat or steak into bite size pieces brown in frying pan.

I use just simple stew mix packages, schilling or something like that. It's just my wife and I now, but I still use two packages of the mix. for each package add 3 cups of hot water.

Add meat and mix to a crock pot, cut up potatoes, I just eye ball how much I have in the pot, I think it's 6 to 8 potatoes maybe (I like meat and potatoes). Cut up 1/2 onion and carrots (again I just eye ball the carrots, but since I'm lazy I just halve baby peeled carrots) :D . At times I'll add corn or peas, or anything that might trip my trigger that day. Salt and pepper to taste. I'll cook on low until about an hour before dinner then add sliced up celery so they don't dissolve into the stew.

Just before we eat, I'll mix in "wondra" (fine sifted flour for making gravy), the key is to keep mixing and only add a little bit at a time until the stew is in a gravy rather than a broth.

We'll eat it for a night or two with warm bread and the rest goes in a freezer bag for a night I'm really feeling lazy.

This is a very easy recipe and as you can see, with any stew you add what you want.

Alan

(1a) Salt, pepper and flour oxtail and brown in a little oil. Pour in 2 or 3 cans of beef broth.
(1b) Simmer oxtail in beef broth with a chopped up onion for 2 or 3 hrs until the oxtail is tender.
(2) Chop up some cabbage.
(3) Turn up the heat on the oxtail 'til it's boiling pretty good.
(4) Put in the cabbage and turn off the heat.
(5) Stir it around and cover for a few minutes and it'll be ready.

I just invented that recipe. I would try it except oxtails around here sell for the price of ribeyes. It's an ethnic thing.

If you don't like cabbage, just put the oxtail soup (made the way I said in step 1) over some rice or noodles and serve with some steamed green beans. If you do it this way, chop up a carrot into the soup the last 45 minutes of cooking.

Thanks for the responses and Alan your method of stew sounds much like mine, add what's in season and in the fridge.

I was told by my butcher's wife that I have to cut the oxtail or some dealy and from the recipes I have read online, many also say to do that. Do I have to cut it or can I just slow cook it?

ga, we don't even have oxtail in our grocery stores around here just what you get when you butcher.

MistyMorning":2yyw3zxe said:
ga, we don't even have oxtail in our grocery stores around here just what you get when you butcher.
Because it's all sold in Georgia, Alabama, and South Carolina.

The way it's sold here, it's sliced about an inch to an inch and a half thick.

ga.prime":6dxkcb49 said:
MistyMorning":6dxkcb49 said:
Because it's all sold in Georgia, Alabama, and South Carolina.

The way it's sold here, it's sliced about an inch to an inch and a half thick.

Same here, i saw some today at the store.

Here's the 3rd world version.

Flour, season and brown the oxtail in a little oil. (I never brown them out of laziness to do dishes so I just put the dusted and seasoned oxtail in the slowcooker as below) I prefer just salt and pepper, but season to whatever is your taste.

Chop 2 large onions and place in the bottom of a slow-cooker (I think its what you refer to as a crock pot)

Add 1 cup of red wine, handful of chopped fresh oregano (1Tsp dried), some chopped garlic, 1Tsp of sugar, 1 can of chopped tomatoes.

Put slow-cooker on high for about 5 hours, add two cans of butterbeans, put slowcooker on low for another 3 hours and dish up over rice. The meat should be at the point where it wants to start falling off the bone, but the butterbeans should still be intact in a thick gravy.

Latest posts