Owning a trailer

Help Support CattleToday:

Craig Miller

Reaction score
Good point made in another thread and I've derailed enough for today. So at what point do you think a trailer is necessary?

At the point where you want to move cattle whenever you want, and not whenever you can get someone to do it for you.

Its only necessary when you need one,, which could be any time between Monday and next Sunday... Ive done without a lot of things,but a stock trailer ain't one of em...

Most can really get by with a half ton pickup and a bumper pull trailer for emergencies. Groups large enough for goosenecks and pots should be a planned sale anyway. :2cents:

I agree with all of the above replies, and Ranchman90 stated exactly what I have and do. Usually, I just have one to a few to haul, and a 16' bumper hitch will do that. When we have a bigger group to take or have bought, I can call on a friend that does hauling.

I do not like borrowing anything because 99% of the time something breaks and I gotta replace it or make it better than when I borrowed it so I just buy whatever I need when I can afford it. I just bought a trailer couple weeks ago cause I needed one for a month and a half instead of renting or borrowing one... I do not like borrowing.

All good answers so far. I don't have a lot of cows, but I seem to have to hook to trailer several times a week. So, I guess it's contingent on everybody's tolerance for inconvenience.

Bigfoot":111vaxyv said:
All good answers so far. I don't have a lot of cows, but I seem to have to hook to trailer several times a week. So, I guess it's contingent on everybody's tolerance for inconvenience.
Amen! Because if you let them borrow yours you never know what condition it will be in once it's returned. The majority of the time we pick our battles and hook up/load/deliver, etc. The favor is returned by their offer to help when/if we need it or just by showing up and pitching in.

Don't forget those holidays when a cow decides its time to screw the whole day up... Or your regular vet is on vacation.. And have to travel to another one,a county over...the list of reasons continues....

For conveyance a trailer is worth a lot but if I could hire things done as I need it i would sell mine tomorrow. Have owned a gooseneck since 1988. Wouldn't have a bumper hitch cattle trailer unless I knew where to sell it.

We have a 16' Gooseneck brand, bumper pull. It is full size width, has a divider gate, full size rear gates, brakes, etc. That sucker pulls smooth as silk and is easy to get in and out of places. It's one of my favorite trailers to take to look at bulls or shuffle a few cows here and there. I took our Brahman bull thru the Whataburger drive thru when I brought him home. :)

I used an all aluminum livestock trailer a couple weeks ago to haul some heifers about 3 hours round trip. It was amazing how light that sucker pulled. That was my first experience pulling an aluminum trailer and I see why people like them. You hardly even notice it back there and my mpgs showed it.

We used to have an older 16' Cherokee brand gooseneck, then got into raising dairy calves, and used a truck topper, then a goat gopher to haul them. Traded down I guess for a newer 16' CornPro bumper pull. It pulls good and is easy to handle. Sometimes cattle get to rockin it and it feels a little hairy goin down the road, but usually it isn't too bad. Goosenecks do feel more stable to me, this trailer does what we need it to though.

i have some old 16' bumper pull. it's a big tank and as heavy as one.. It'll pull your truck back empty. grabs tons of wind..

but i've put probably 10k miles on it so i can't complain.. wish I had a nice aluminum 20 or 24' but i get by :cboy:

We move cattle from one place to another several times a year. I just upgraded to a 24' because it was taking to many trips. Already thinking i Should have went 32. I've got a 16 instead of selling it I think I'm going keep it we can haul with 2 trucks.
With the exception of small utility trailers I won't even look at a bumper pull

callmefence":2snjbxct said:
We move cattle from one place to another several times a year. I just upgraded to a 24' because it was taking to many trips. Already thinking i Should have went 32. I've got a 16 instead of selling it I think I'm going keep it we can haul with 2 trucks.
With the exception of small utility trailers I won't even look at a bumper pull

The 24 gets small quick when hauling cows, especially if it's not a wide trailer.

This will be my next trailer... 28', 7'6", 7' tall. I want the extra height for my mule.

http://www.gooseneck.net/gooseneck-trai ... ilers.html

Latest posts