Overwhelmed these days...

Help Support CattleToday:

mitch2

Reaction score
Do you ever get to the point and look at your list of things that need to get done, no money to get done, should do even if it kills you, like to get done when time permits, etc etc etc. And do not know which way to turn? Or not sure if you have things on the right list or not?

I'm there. I think for the first time in my life I'm a bit depressed. And this depression is not helping me one single bit.

I feel like money is bleeding out of us at all angles, and in more ways than one, it will be a tough financial year. Secondly, time seems to be at a premium, and no matter what we do get done, wish it has been more.

With such a poor real estate market, we have decided to rent out the house we have had for sale. Even though we will not get enough to cover all of its costs, it will help immensely if we can get it rented. I really wanted to sell it. One drop in the bucket of the "get done", not going to get done.

Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into a pity post... really not what I was after... just wondering how others cope? Maybe it is just my nature to worry more than others? Not sure....

Michele

If someone doesn;t get down in the mouth once in a while they must still be living at home with mom and dad taking care of everything.
I alwasy tell my wife "She'll come right". And sure enough it does. You do what you can or have to do and let the others slide. Plan for the worst, hope for the best and take whatever happens in stride.

everyone gets overloaded an stressed with things they want an need to get done.an sometimes money is the factor in what gwets done an when.i need todo some fencing but i know i cant dont it alone.so i wait till i have some help to get it done.same with weaning some calves.

Michele, I am there right now. I keep clinging to what the Bible says in Romans 8:28:
28And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.
He doesn't say it will be comfortable or easy but it will end up good. He knows what he is doing.
I also ask myself: Can you do anythign about this? If the answer is no I let it go. If the answer is yes then it becomes something I need to deal with.
Just remember you aren't superwoman and that's OK.

How do you eat an elephant?

One bite at a time...

...quit "fixin' to do" and "do"... one step at a time whether it be one day at a time, one week at a time or one task at a time... if something doesn't go your way -- write it off, step left, and move on... no sense idlin' or burnin' energy on something you can't change.

Keep your chin up --

Now in your spare time if you want to laugh... watch Evan Almighty with that guy from the office in it... there's a good couple chuckles and a good message in that... there's a scene where it asks "When you ask God for patience... does he give you patience or the opportunity to expand your patience, when you ask for strength does he give you strength or the opportunity to build your muscles"...

I recommend you list out a minimum of 5 things a day that you're thankful for every day for the next week -- sunshine (or rain), kids, pets, new calf, weaned calf, bird on a tree... or that the bird on the tree dumped on someone elses windshield instead of yours... do this and things will look better really quickly

[Edited for an extremely bad bad typo... goodness :oops: ]

DavisBeefmasters":eilu5zsk said:
How do you eat an elephant?

One bite at a time...

...quit "fixin' to do" and "do"... one step at a time whether it be one day at a time, one week at a time or one task at a time... if something doesn't go your way -- write it off, step left, and move on... no sense idlin' or burnin' energy on something you can't change.

"When you ask God for patience... does he give you patience or the opportunity to expand your patience, when you ask for strength does he give you strength or the opportunity to build your muscles"...

Good Stuff... I mean really good stuff..

I've got lists for rain, sun, just because, and others. I move from one thing to the next if the 5 minute task becomes impossible. I have left goats out before because they don't wander far and the hay needed to get in before them clouds let loose. Man, prioities change in a heartbeat. Just kind of gotta go with the flow, no matter how big that knot in my stomach gets.

I was (un??)fortunate enough to have a really rough go of it when I was a young man. Almost got arrested for stealing Ketchup packages from Mcdonalds, so I could make my daily "tomato soup". At the time, life really blew, but looking back, any problems I have now don't compare. It was really a blessing, at a time when I was young and resilient enough to make it.

Like it was said above.. keep your chin up and fight the good fight. It stinks now, but down the road its rewards are great.

Good Luck,

Brad

Happens all the time with me. We maintain two households and that's tough, not to mention living apart during the week. You try to cut corners where you can, we aren't taking a vacation this year and we have postponed some work we were gonna do around the house. I wanted to buy a couple of jennies and now I am postponing that. Gotta watch what we spend real carefully right now.

As for the real estate market, that's the reason we live apart. Had the place for sale and no one is buying right now.

So we have to do what we have to do. I was real down about it last night, crying to Steve and telling him how hard it is to be apart. But you just have to deal with it. And I know it will all come around in the end. Dun's right. She'll come right.

Yes, I think we have all had "those days" at one time or another and sometimes they come too often or stay too long. But we get thru them, how you do that seems to help with the next round. The advise about finding daily thankfulls is good advise! Don't beat yourself up over something you have no control over. I have more on my to do list than what is on my done list and don't see that changing anytime soon. I had my home up north for sale and couldn't get a bite, finally got a ridiculous offer and I took it. Lost most of my equity, but I am out from under the debt and burden of trying to manage the place 2 1/2 hours away. Changed my whole plan for my future and won't be able to have the house I wanted to put up, nor could I do it when I wanted to. Heck I will be tickled if I can start it this year. But I have my family, health, critters and am on my own little patch of ground with a darn nice barn.
Do keep your chin up and this too shall pass. :wave:

mitch2":e097qxs9 said:
Do you ever get to the point and look at your list of things that need to get done, no money to get done, should do even if it kills you, like to get done when time permits, etc etc etc. And do not know which way to turn? Or not sure if you have things on the right list or not?

I'm there. I think for the first time in my life I'm a bit depressed. And this depression is not helping me one single bit.

I feel like money is bleeding out of us at all angles, and in more ways than one, it will be a tough financial year. Secondly, time seems to be at a premium, and no matter what we do get done, wish it has been more.

With such a poor real estate market, we have decided to rent out the house we have had for sale. Even though we will not get enough to cover all of its costs, it will help immensely if we can get it rented. I really wanted to sell it. One drop in the bucket of the "get done", not going to get done.

Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into a pity post... really not what I was after... just wondering how others cope? Maybe it is just my nature to worry more than others? Not sure....

Michele

If it helps, you're not alone. Thousands of people are losing their jobs and their homes. It's a tough economy and time. With the cost of food and gasoline, I don't see how young families make it these days. Try to look at the bright side. You apparently own two houses, many people don't own one. Inflation is eating our lunch, but try to look at the bright points in your life. I'm sure there are some, kids, spouse, lifestyle, job. Set down with your spouse and seriously look at what you can cut. Can you sell a car, a boat, a travel trailer? Get control of your finances. Even if that means selling some things that you enjoy, cutting your debt will make you feel better. You can always buy stuff again when times are better. Good luck....

Dear Michele,
This guy help me with his FINANCIAL PEACE UNIVERSITY, Dave Ramsey, at daveramsey.com
Im DEBT FREE as of Thursday! 2 years and over $80,000.
Make a plan and hang in there! :tiphat:

mitch2":3un8lom8 said:
just wondering how others cope? Maybe it is just my nature to worry more than others? Not sure....

Michele

I for one am a worrier. It is tuff. My wife is the opposite. I am happy for her. My oldest child is like her and my youngest is like me. My wife is is a hard worker and just plods along whether things are good or bad. I wish I was that way. I feel I have to take action and make things happen.

No doubt the current economic situation in the US will create a life changing experience for folks. It don't really have to be a crisis ... it would be just another way of being for her.

I cope by trying to come to grips with my fear of failure. I have had some degree of success.

Good posts by all.
Thanks.

mitch2":2bwi1jq2 said:
I feel like money is bleeding out of us at all angles Michele

Money is bleeding out of every single person on this board. I'm giving my share.
If I had the answer I'd be charging you. Anything that reduces fuel purchased is my first thought.
Higher cattle prices and milk prices are my second thought. No doubt they are coming, but it is a long walk to get there.

Whenever I get to feelin like you're talking about. I always try to remember how tuff it was for our parents and grandparents back in the 30's. It puts things in a different light for sure, doen't mean to make light of your situation just saying look for the good cuz it sould sure always be worse.

My Grandma always told me when I was beat down by something."if it didn't kill you it didn't defeat you."

Hang in there. Thank God for your blessings,and pray for the strength to overcome your adversities.

Hang in there Michele things will get better. It happens to all of us.

Life would be boring if we put everything on schedule and everything went exactly as planned.

Was in the service with a guy that his famous saying was "Happy days are on there way."
No mater how rough it got he still was saying it. And I still think about his saying when things get rough.

Cal

I make a point everyday to ask folks that are anywhere in age from 65-75 about if they can remember times being as tough and turmulous as they are now... All have said it's the worst they can remember.

We can all make it, with a little helping hand from each other.

I understand where you are coming from. Sometimes there is so much going on things to do, no money to do it.
I ask God for strength.
I bury my head and go on CT
I find peace in gardening
If that all fails then i remember 2 things
1. Just like a trip to the city, which is 2.5 hours long. I break it down. 13km to Oak point made it. 20km to Lundar made it....30 km to Ashern made it, 30km to home...safe and sound
if that does not work, a good laugh ie
2. Hubby and i were having a crabby day in the city. We were sitting in the home depot parking lot, sulking, not talking for a few minutes deciding whether to go in or not. Out comes this fella with an 8' down spout for eavestroughing. He walks up to a little ford hatch back. He tried every angle to get it in...he did not succeed. Until...
...he stood on it and folded it in half...we laughed so hard...we went into the store and finished our list and headed home....13 km to oak point... that was four years ago and still gets a chuckle.
And if that fails take a look at nature. Ever seen a cormaranth (bird with web feet) land in a tree...It cant...fell 15 feet in the bush, must have hit every branch on the way down, got up and flew away...nature can always provide a laugh
And finally a dog knows when you need a hug take time to hug the dog

rockridgecattle":mxqp5p3t said:
And if that fails take a look at nature. Ever seen a cormaranth (bird with web feet) land in a tree...It cant...fell 15 feet in the bush, must have hit every branch on the way down, got up and flew away...nature can always provide a laugh
I don't know about Michele, but that made my day! :tiphat:

michele, i feel like that every single day. (not exaggerating)

the cormorant story did make me smile, and i think there is a lessen to be learned there.

Michelle I feel like that quite often..Especially at the beginning of the month ,sure there is a check coming in but how much is going out. June is a h@ll of a month for us also. Property taxes are due as well as the farm and vehicle insurance .I have to take it one step at a time or I would never get out of bed in the morning.

Thanks RR that was a great post; and yes sometimes we all are the cormorant in your story the key is to pick yourself up ,dust yourself off and keep on going.

Latest posts