OVERVIEW OF BUSH'S MILITARY SERVICE

Help Support CattleToday:

la4angus

Reaction score
OVERVIEW OF BUSH'S MILITARY SERVICE

September 9, 2004

Bushes National Guard years

Before you fall for Deems’ spin, here are the facts
What do you really know about George W. Bush's time in the Air National Guard?

That he didn't show up for duty in Alabama? That he missed a physical? That his daddy got him in?

News coverage of the presidents years in the Guard has tended to focus on one brief portion of that time to the exclusion of virtually everything else. So just for the record, here, in full, is what Bush did:
The future president joined the Guard in May 1968. Almost immediately, he began an extended period of training. Six weeks of basic training. Fifty-three weeks of flight training. Twenty-one weeks of fighter-interceptor training.

That was 80 weeks to begin with, and there were other training periods thrown in as well. It was full-time work. By the time it was over, Bush had served nearly two years.

Not two years of weekends. Two years.

After training, Bush kept flying, racking up hundreds of hours in F-102 jets. As he did, he accumulated points toward his National Guard service requirements. At the time, guardsmen were required to accumulate a minimum of 50 points to meet their yearly obligation.

According to records released earlier this year, Bush earned 253 points in his first year, May 1968 to May 1969 (since he joined in May 1968, his service thereafter was measured on a May-to-May basis).

Bush earned 340 points in 1969-1970. He earned 137 points in 1970-1971. And he earned 112 points in 1971-1972. The numbers indicate that in his first four years, Bush not only showed up, he showed up a lot. Did you know that?

That brings the story to May 1972 the time that has been the focus of so many news reports when Bush deserted (according to anti-Bush filmmaker Michael More) or went AWOL (according to Terry maculae, chairman of the Democratic National Committee).
Bush asked for premise! On to go to Alabama to work on a Senate campaign. His superior officer said OK. Requests like that weren't unusual, says retired Col. William Company, who flew with Bush in 1970 and 1971.

“In 1972, there was an enormous glut of pilots, Company says. The Vietnam War was winding down, and the Air Force was putting pilots in desk jobs. In 72 or 73, if you were a pilot, active or Guard, and you had an obligation and wanted to get out, no problem. In fact, you were helping them solve their problem.

So Bush stopped flying. From May 1972 to May 1973, he earned just 56 points not much, but enough to meet his requirement.
Then, in 1973, as Bush made plans to leave the Guard and go to Harvard Business School, he again started showing up frequently.
In June and July of 1973, he accumulated 56 points, enough to meet the minimum requirement for the 1973-1974 year.

Then, at his request, he was given permission to go. Bush received an honorable discharge after serving five years, four months and five days of h! is original six-year commitment. By that time, however, he had accumulated enough points in each year to cover six years of service.
During his service, Bush received high marks as a pilot.

A 1970 evaluation said Bush clearly stands out as a top notch fighter interceptor pilot and was a natural leader whom his contemporaries look to for leadership.

A 1971 evaluation called Bush an exceptionally fine young officer and pilot who “continually flies intercept missions with the unit to increase his proficiency even further. And a 1972 evaluation called Bush “an exceptional fighter interceptor pilot and officer.

Now, it is only natural that news reports questioning Bush's service in The Boston Globe and The New York Times, on CBS and in other outlets would come out now. Democrats are spitting mad over attacks on John Kerry's record by the group Swift Boat Veterans for Truth.

And, as it is with Kerry, it's reasonable to look at a candidates entire record, including his military service or lack of it. Voters are perfectly able to decide whether it's important or not in November.

The Kerry camp blames Bush for the Swift boat veterans attack, but anyone who has spent much time talking to the Swifties gets the sense that they are doing it entirely for their own reasons.

And it should be noted in passing that Kerry has personally questioned Bush's service, while Bush has not personally questioned Kerry's.

In April before the Swift boat veterans had said a word Kerry said Bush has yet to explain to America whether or not, and tell the truth, about whether he showed up for duty. Earlier, Kerry said, Just because you get an honorable discharge does not, in fact, answer that question.

Now, after the Swift boat episode, the spotlight has returned to Bush.
That's fine. We should know as much as we can.

And perhaps someday Kerry will release more of his military records as well.
Byron York! is a White House correspondent for National Review. His column appears in The Hill each week

Yah Bush got plenty of flying time to fly his toy jet that daddy was sure he would get. If he has so many flying experiences, why didn't he used his experience on the field to save his fellow men? Because his daddy babied him...made damn sure his son never have to see the bloody jungle of Vietnam. At least Kerry had guts to fought side by side with his fellow men.....even if it was very brief..
Yes, I don't deny Bush did serve his country but what did he do in value during this time? nothing...all he did was flew his toy jet around collecting points (gets fewer by the year). In 72, instead of helping his men on the field, he hid out behind a desk! Sounds pretty typical....he does this everyday.hid behind his desk (throne) at the White House (Castle). We don't need a chicken for a President.....we need a gutsy President who is willing to fight the real terrorists who are roaming freely, not fight over bunch of sandbox rats!

greenpasture78":2lkpcri7 said:
Yah Bush got plenty of flying time to fly his toy jet that daddy was sure he would get. If he has so many flying experiences, why didn't he used his experience on the field to save his fellow men? Because his daddy babied him...made be nice sure his son never have to see the bloody jungle of Vietnam. At least Kerry had guts to fought side by side with his fellow men.....even if it was very brief..
Yes, I don't deny Bush did serve his country but what did he do in value during this time? nothing...all he did was flew his toy jet around collecting points (gets fewer by the year). In 72, instead of helping his men on the field, he hid out behind a desk! Sounds pretty typical....he does this everyday.hid behind his desk (throne) at the White House (Castle). We don't need a chicken for a President.....we need a gutsy President who is willing to fight the real terrorists who are roaming freely, not fight over bunch of sandbox rats!

Ok let's role play. I'll be the Texans and the LA4Sittingonmyass.

"Why don't you get your head out of your ass".
"Go Away, we don't like anyone around here that doesn't agree 100% that Bushy is the greatest president of all time"
"9/11 my God! Have you forgotten about when Saddam flew those planes into the WTC?"
"I won't buy Heinz ketchup because she's a democrat"

Talk about whining. Waaa Waaa somebody LA4Sittinonmyass needs his depends changed.

We don't need a chicken for a President.....we need a gutsy President who is willing to fight the real terrorists who are roaming freely, not fight over bunch of sandbox rats!

And you think kerry is that person. You've got real problems!

The Sandhills of Nebrask

Where the Boys are Horny and the Sheep are Nervous.

la4angus":3ckfhzla said:
The Sandhills of Nebrask

Where the Boys are Horny and the Sheep are Nervous.

Sorry to disappoint you old man but don't know where you'd find a sheep within a 300 mile radius. Just keep pluggin away though, i would of thought you might come up with something a little more original by now. Unlike you I can still get it up to satisfy my wife. BAAAAAAAAAAAAACK off.

O while were at it....

Sorry to disappoint you old man but don't know where you'd find a sheep within a 300 mile radius. Just keep pluggin away though, i would of thought you might come up with something a little more original by now. Unlike you I can still get it up to satisfy my wife. BAAAAAAAAAAAAACK off.

O while were at it....

Why did LA4ANGUISH screw his goat at the edge of the cliff?

So the goat would push back!

You are a real ass and show no respect for anyone. I wonder would your father or grandfather be prouid of they way you treat people on this board. Have you ever heard of the term "respect your elders". Go to HELL Blackpower. What does Blackpower mean anyway?

txshowmom":nc8k26pr said:

O while were at it....

Why did LA4ANGUISH screw his goat at the edge of the cliff?

So the goat would push back!

You are a real ass and show no respect for anyone. I wonder would your father or grandfather be prouid of they way you treat people on this board. Have you ever heard of the term "respect your elders". Go to HELL Blackpower. What does Blackpower mean anyway?

As long as I'm shown no respect I will show none.

You WERE shown respect like everyone else on this board until you disrespected others causing all of us to think you are an a$$hole - therefore - now you are not entitled to respect until YOU show a little respect to everyone else.

BP, you are rude but one funny guy! Ever heard the '60's song "Its My Party And I will Cry If I Want To, Cry If I Want To....". I'l bet LA4 play this song to his alligators and beer buddies every night before bedtime...

sidney411":hbpfxqsc said:
You WERE shown respect like everyone else on this board until you disrespected others causing all of us to think you are an a$$hole - therefore - now you are not entitled to respect until YOU show a little respect to everyone else.

No, GP nor I can say one word against Bushy on here without the personal attacks coming out. I don't really care if they stop or not, but until they do I'll keep slinging them right back. I do not consider myself a Democrat nor a Republican, what I do consider myself is open minded when it comes to politics, Your Win Bush Win chants that you Texas Dubya lovin drones spew all the time makes me sick and worries me about where this country is heading.

txshowmom":112l58wb said:
]

Man, if that ain't the pot calling the kettle......

When did I call anyone an old bag or old anything??

Don't think I've been anywhere close to this disrespectful to anyone on this board.

Dear Mr. BLACKPOWER

For the record, neither have I. You have no place bashing Texans just because G.W. Bush is from the great state of Texas! You just sit up there on your little hill and leave us alone. Some of the nicest people on this board are from Texas.

Respectfully Yours, Sidney

sidney411":35mk56qv said:
Dear Mr. BLACKPOWER

For the record, neither have I. You have no place bashing Texans just because G.W. Bush is from the great state of Texas! You just sit up there on your little hill and leave us alone. Some of the nicest people on this board are from Texas.

Respectfully Yours, Sidney

I don't care where Dubya is from, that's not why I don't like the Texans it's because of their stance on the border issues. And for the record it seems that this board is 90% Texans and 5% Canadians, the problem is that the Texans on this board are a pretty poor representation of the true Texas rancher. To many hobby farmers and steer jocks.

Some of the bravest men I have ever known have never been shot at.

They flew in crappy weather, day and night, at the extreme range of their aircraft, in single engine aircraft, unreliable instruments, far out over the water - knowing full well they would never be rescued before they died of exposure should they have to eject. They flew in places where no helicopter could reach them.

They fulfilled the mission the government sent them on - on a daily basis. They had the honour and privilege of actually watching their friends die upon occaision. (truth but said with sarcasm) We went to too many funerals with empty boxes at the grave site. They were simply doing their jobs.

When you fly beside a Russian Bear at night, in cloud, in bad weather, over water that may be warm, or may be frozen, you know that when you / if you make one mistake you will probably die.

The Bears and sometimes Badgers (depending on the part of the world you happened to be in) were armed with nuclear weapons. Run into one and they may / may not recover. They may / may not drop / jettison their load. Coot Alphas were always around - running interference and jamming and such - making our lives miserable.

Most military pilots in the U.S. of A did not go to Vietnam. Most military pilots in the U.S. of A. did not go to Gulf War 1 and Gulf War 2. Heck, I didn't either. But, they still served with honour and dignity and courage. Only time I dodged bullets was while I was on the ground - 'nuther story.

Forget the man is the President for a minute. You are mocking an entire group of people who risked their lives on a daily basis to to the job their country demanded of them. And dammed few of you who read this ever thanked them - face to face for their service.

I checked my log book tonight - 16 of my friends died while flying missions like this. Most incidents never made the back page and the bottom corner of the advertising section. Generally folks slept well at night - while others did what was required and those same pilots were prepared to make the ultimate sacrifice if it was necessary. Basically the public did not give a rats a$$.

I am disappointed, that those who I am sure have never been there would have the audacity to stand up and attempt to sound like they know what took place, how it took place, and why it took place - you may have the right to speak out, but you do not have the right to mock mannner in which he served - certainly his peers seem to have been supporitive a flight mate who is a retired Colonel - who stated in a letter to the New York Times that "George did his job and did it well".

You can mock Bush or you can applaud him - choice is yours and I respect that. But do not attempt to mock him by calling him down for his flight performance and flight duty and his service to his country. He made the grade and he flew the missions. So did the rest of us. Call him down you call us all down. Oh, by the way, I managed to find myself chained to a desk more than once in my career - just like George.

Remember - Kerry is the man who started this campaign with the "War Hero" stuff - George kept his mouth shut. Heck, I do not know Kerry and his record - and I give a damm - but it seems like there are more than a few folks who HAVE walked that walk that do not approve of him. Because of that - and that alone I think I would stay away from him. Those grey haired vets may not be the elite of society - but they darned well know what's what.

At least George served - good or bad or indifferent. Remember many chose NOT to - and today many still choose NOT to. Watch who you call down - lots of us were doing our duty when you were screwing your "significant other", wearing beads and so on.

Seems like those who complain the loudest have never been - just like yappy dogs.

I am sure there will be at least one "barrack block lawyer" tear this post apart, but most likely that same barrack block lawyer will have not been there. GP78 and BP care to comment?

Bez

I do not make a point to mock someones service record, in fact i've have taken a hell of a lot of flack defending a man I don't even know and won't even vote for. Why you might ask? Because whether he spent 4 months or 4 years HE ACTUALLY went into combat, that ALONE is worth your respect. Given both Bush and Kerry came from privledged backgrounds and Kerry flew in the guard and Bush went to Vietnam and the SBV4T were attacking Bush's service would you stand by and say nothing? I doubt it. Because you respect his service regardless of purple hearts or becuase he's a Republican? Politics is a two way street but everyone on here is driving the same way........................with blind folds on.

BP - you might be a nice kid - you might be a nice man. You might be just the opposite. In fact, you usually come off as the "Ugly American" - William J Lederer and Eugene Burdick - but perhaps that is just your web persona. Hard to tell from this end.

In the you have missed the point proving my barrack block laywer comment.

Shame that your education is lacking.

My last post on this thread.

Regards,

Bez

Latest posts