overtime and holiday pay

Help Support CattleToday:

JHH

Reaction score
Question. Most companies pay holiday pay regular pay ? Then if worker was called out he get time and 1/2 for time worked not whole time correct? Unless on Sunday?

What do others get?

I've worked on salary my entire adult life. I don't know what true business do. My farm help gets time and a half over 40. They'd quit if we worked holidays.

I'm self employed so I get paid by what I produce. No ot no holiday
My wife gets salary.
My employee,s get Christmas, thanksgiving, July 4; and memorial day. I work most of the other holidays. Employees can take them off if they want.
State law says i have to pay time and half for over 40 hours. I don't have a problem with that if im asking for someone to work o.t.

When a employee comes to me asking for weekend work I don't think it should be required. :2cents:

Well we have a guy who was on call and was called out on the 3rd of July which was his holiday. He is claiming 13 hours overtime. I can see the 8 holiday. but there is no way he was out that long looking for a leak when customer had been building fence and called the leak in. I can see 8 holiday and probably 5 at time an 1/2 . but not 13 at time and 1/2

If you think he's being dishonest. Get rid of him, but be smart about it.
pay him his little bit of overtime, and start looking for a way to get rid of him.

Holidays are triple time here, Sunday double. But we have a union shop.
Holiday should be a minimum of time and a half in some states. Check your state laws, not all states require time and a half for holidays. And July 3 wouldn't quality for a holiday pay. Maybe I misunderstand, but I think what he's claiming would be correct, or at least close, if he put in 8 hours and you're required to pay holiday pay.

Edit: Sorry, maybe he is wrong. It would be 12 hours at regular time, if he worked 8 hours with time and a half pay.

Edit 2: MO does not require time and a half for holiday pay. So you're only required to pay him time and a half if the hours he worked that day put him over his 40.

Here we get paid 8 hours for certain major holidays. If you happen to work on one of these days, your time worked is entered on timecard along with the holiday pay so it would be like double time.

EDIT: If you were over 40 hours and worked on a holiday, it would be like double time and a half with the holiday pay.

Of course laws vary state to state. To keep it simple, forget the paid holiday because if that is your company policy (8 hrs at straight time for a holiday), then you just add that holiday "pay" to the paycheck. As an example, if July 4 was on a Saturday (not a regular work day for us), and we worked the full Monday thru Friday, 40 hr week, the employee would get 40 hrs straight time plus 8 holiday. However if we decided to let them take off on Friday the 3rd, their paycheck would be 32 hrs plus 8 holiday resulting in a full paycheck.
Now, if we ask them to work on that Friday that everyone else has off, we would pay 1.5, although we are not required too. If we had decided the company would work Friday the 3rd and employee had 40 hours, and was then called in to work on Saturday the 4th, they would be paid 1.5 for the hours they work, plus get the holiday pay. So, some folks look at that as 2.5 but if your already giving the 1 as holiday benefits, then you are paying 1.5 for overtime as required.
This is partly Fed and partly state (Arkansas), so may not apply to you.
I lean towards the generous side when I ask an employee to work a holiday. Especially one as important as Independence Day. Without that one, we probably wouldn't have any of them

The way SteppedInIt described makes *sense*.. now whether that's the legality of it in other states, I don't know

If I worked a holiday (at a real job I mean) and I were getting paid for the holiday anyhow, I'd essentially be getting paid 1/2 my wage for the hours I put in unless the 8 hours holiday pay are added to the paycheck anyhow.

At my last job it was a nightmare since I was on the road a lot, and by law (here) you're supposed to have 8 consecutive hours off between shifts, for me I was often on the clock for 30 hours at a time (flight time, hanging around airports, all after a 12 hour shift working), so it was nearly impossible to keep track of it.. I'm sure I got shorted many many times, but I was making good enough money to not feel I needed to raise a stink about it.. taxes would have taken it all anyhow

The 12 years I worked at the one farm, I was salary. No extras, straight pay regardless if holiday or 40 hrs or 60 hrs. No overtime.

The 10 1/2 years at another farm it wa hourly pay. If I worked a paid holiday it would be 8 hours pay plus however many hours I worked.....if I worked 7 hrs it would be a total of 15 hrs pay. No overtime.

We are now self employed. So.....there ya go.

I work for a big company they made us work the 4th.they did give us a different day off but no time and a half unless your over 40

I'm hourly, but I never get OT. I'm forced to lose it during the week somehow through a longer lunch. B/c I'm the only one that does my job at work I never get to leave early or come in late. I sometimes get OT on Fridays, and I have to be paid for that, but it doesn't happen that often. We're closed on holidays so I never get that and we don't do call either.

All in all, it's not a bad gig.

Latest posts