overseeding

Help Support CattleToday:

LimousinGirl

Reaction score
Howdy
We have about 25 ac of pasture that we are wanting to overseed. It is currently a mix of praire grass and weeds. Am going to do a soil sample to see if we need to add anything to it. Need advice on what to plant for cattle and goats, and the best way to do it(broadcast or no till drill) thanks

Why would you want to get rid of the prairie grass? To get rid of the weeds you can have the pasture sprayed with round up in the fall. Do this after a good hard freeze. Another way is to burn the pasture off in the spring.

Unless you're sowing hard seed like clover, alfalfa, etc., any existing grass stand is better seeded wit ha no-till drill In either case, you need the existing plant cover very short. If you have to rent a drill you may be better of monetarily to broadcast knowing that the germination rate for the broadcast seed is far below the rate for drilled. I just priced renting a no-till drill and it was $6.50 per acre.

I usually plant winter wheat or oats for forage. I've tried Rye (Rhye) grass but have not been very sucessful at getting a decent stand.

I agree with Dun that it probably best to use a drill. Check with your seed supplier for a rental drill. Around my part of Texas they charge a small fee for the drill rental if you buy the seed from them. I don't remember the exact amout but I don't think it's as much as what Dun quoted. But that there and this is here so comparing prices is not a good measure. You need to check your area.

thanks for your replies, ya'll. That's my brother posting up there--he tried to become a member last night but had some problems with it, so...posting under my name.
he'll have to see this when he gets home...

Latest posts