Overseeding what seeds?

Help Support CattleToday:

machslammer

Reaction score
I have a 13-14 acre pasture that is heavily grazed..

Overseeding some Ky 31 fescue, and putting in some new white clover.

What else is a decent grass that can take lots of abuse and keep coming back? Perennial Ryegrass?

Also I have a smaller 4 wheeler pull behind spreader that i bought a few years back from TSC that has an adjustment handle from 0-10, if I am wanting to do around 20# acre of the fescue and 5# acre of white clover, does anyone have any idea how to figure this thing out? Thanks in advance. Also let me know what you all think of the Perennial Ryegrass in the TN area.

Orchardgrass would be another option for a cool season perennial to go with fescue and clover. Here a little south of you, I'm not sure perennial ryegrass works, although I am seeing some volunteer ryegrass where I planted Marshall Ryegrass last year.

War,
I was told by the stores around here that once the cows bite the orchard grass to the ground that its done for. That correct? My pasture is heavily grazed, never rotated off of, and the cows pick it down pretty good. Looking for something very Hardy other than fescue . Thought about the orchard grass and they talked me out of it....

machslammer":2ki2z1xm said:
War,
I was told by the stores around here that once the cows bite the orchard grass to the ground that its done for. That correct? My pasture is heavily grazed, never rotated off of, and the cows pick it down pretty good. Looking for something very Hardy other than fescue . Thought about the orchard grass and they talked me out of it....
Orcgard grass has to be left as a crown because that;s were the growing points are. If you graze it to the gorund like fescue it won;t persist. My cows won;t eat OG so it's pretty much a waste for us, Brome would be another choice but it doesn;t have the long growing season like fescue. As a matter of fact, the only thing thqat has as long a growing season as fescue are the various weeds that they won;t eat either. Fescue with about 30-50% clover will persist as long as the clover is allowed to go to seed every couple of years. All of the grasses require more grazing managment then fescue.

dun is right. basically fescue is one of the few things that can stand being grazed that heavily. One of the best investments we made around our place was cross fencing. Even just breaking the field in half will give you the ability to rest the grass for some amount of time.

I like Persist OG. I'm rotating thru a field of it right now and the blades are knee high and thick, I wish I was able to take pics....you know had a good camera. But I am giving it about 60 to 90 days of recovery. Anything you do you will need to keep on doing for infinity if it is grazed into the ground plus it make the grass very dependent on frequent rainfall because it has a very shallow root system.

HDRider":1r4htjey said:
Just curious, are you doing anything to bring the seed into contact with soil?

Broadcasting thick enough to make most of it contact the ground...have some thicker grass spots that it prob won't contact ground, but otherwise its short and thinner.. Put on 55# of white clover and 350# of fescue for now.. Still thinking of a perennial rye though in the future..

Latest posts