Overseeding Pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I plan on overseeding my main pasture by lightly discing it then broadcast spreading seed then dragging telephone pole over it to help cover seed. How long should I wait before putting cattle back on there? I don't want them to terrorize the seed sprouts too much ? Is there a height I should wait for the grass to get before putting them back on it ?

I've always heard that you put them on it after the root system is established enough that they don't pull the entire plant up when grazing.

as said you want the roots estb,an that might take 4 to 6wks.an then you can turn the cattle in.

Well since im gonna be spraying Forefront R&P on it before overseeding I am planning on just using perennial rye and KY 31 ... I would love to put more clover but I am having some issue controlling mares tail in my pastures. I was thinking about 2 months of them being off should be enough.

Durana is a good white clover . It grows closer to the ground and flowers close to the ground . Helps it reseed . I planted durana red and crimson clover this year hoping to improve my pastures .

The KY31 will not get adequately established with Spring growth to grow a root system that will survive a hot and somewhat dry Summer. Fall plantings are far superior.

skyhightree1":3bw8h7qx said:
JS is durana capable of living throught broadleaf weed killer?
I haven't sprayed mine this is the first year . We have a volunteer white clover here that the grazon will burn but not kill out completely .

Latest posts