Overseeding Bahia Pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

xbredcattle

Reaction score
Has anyone had luck overseeding Bahia pastures with perennial ryegrass & white clover? I'd like to try it out but have a few question. Will it slow the growth of spring Bahia grass? I've read that you need soil contact but I don't want to scratch my ground early in the fall when the Bahia is still plentiful. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Annual ryegrass you mean? It will need ground contact whatever it is, usually a light disking will do the trick. I have got good stands of annual this way. Have got fair stands but later in the grazing season by spreading seed then mowing pasture tight. Usually have had to use about 50% more seed doing it this way. Best way to seed it it to drill it lightly into the ground.

I tried something a couple weeks ago that should work on Bahia also with rye grass. I let a small patch of brown top go to seed. I cut and bailed it. Lots of seed on the ground . when I raked it I made sure a heavy ground contact and seeds are starting to sprout. You could overseed a Bahia field ahead of the mower late fall. The rakeing and baleing with filter the seeds to ground contact.

houstoncutter":2cwrxbvp said:
Annual ryegrass you mean? It will need ground contact whatever it is, usually a light disking will do the trick. I have got good stands of annual this way. Have got fair stands but later in the grazing season by spreading seed then mowing pasture tight. Usually have had to use about 50% more seed doing it this way. Best way to seed it it to drill it lightly into the ground.

All good info, you don't need a no till any old drill will get ryegrass in deep enough. I've also had good luck just broadcast it onto summer pasture and then grazing it short. The cows working the seed in as they graze.
And yes you want annual ryegrass