Overhead Electric Fence

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
There was a thread by Bigfoot over a year ago about an electric fence short. I mentioned a short in my system that I could not isolate. I found it.

I have an underground waterproof cable under a gate. The gate exits my winter feed pad which has a base of #2 gravel and is choked off with mine waste run. It sets up like concrete. To fix the short, I would have to break up the pad. The solution was going overhead.

I used 10 foot lond, 2 inch diameter conduit as risers. The wire goes into the conduit at the top of the gate posts through a drilled hole. Fishing the end that came out the second pipe was fun. The 90 degree at the top adds 1 foot of clearance for a total clearance of 11 feet .

e7z33d.jpg

2h7ks4m.jpg

10emydg.jpg

In the bottom picture, you can see where the underground cable that shorted comes up.

M-5":1c719ld9 said:
Well , I guess that would work , silly me would have just lag bolted 2 16' PT 2x6's and screwed a China on the top.

16 foot 2x6. What would they cost?

The conduit was $5.64 a piece.

You could use 12 foot 2x4. But may not be strong enough?

M-5":2fb94ter said:
You will see why after a summer in the sun

UV breakdown. For the difference in cost. I was willing to see.

The guy at Lowe's said he thought it would hold up longer to UV than using white pvc. IDK

M-5":1u3c0qu5 said:
13 bucks a piece for 2x6 , and you forgot about the 4 hangers you bought and the elbows and im sure you prolly glued them also.

6 hangers. Buck a piece. Yep. Elbows too.

I would probably only go with a 12 foot 2x6. Don't need 16 feet clearance.

I'm a neat freak. I know when your farming, you have to lay that down, to get some things accomplished, but I like the looks of that. I'm going to start doing mine that way.

Just drive a t-post in ground and then slip the PVC over the t-post. Can then wire or clamp pvc to adjacent post for more support if desired but not required. Have a few done this way for several years and works well. Not really necessary to run hot wire inside pvc or use elbows. Just cut notch in top end of pvc and run wire thru notch. If want to be more complex can put eyebolts thru top end of pvc and run wire thru eye but for me have learned that is overkill. Notches work just fine. The grey pvc is what I use and if have enough tension on the wire the pvc flexes a little but not badly. I only use 6ft t posts but could use 8 ft for more support if flex is a concern but has not been an issue for me. Wasn't a problem in 2011 when we had many 100+ degree days and a few 108-110 degree days. That grey pvc is pretty tough stuff.

Around here I use fir railings and drive them into the post with some 6" or 8" spikes.. I've actually given up on running wire here though, the deer just keep tangling up in it and wrapping it up with the barbed wire or snapping it.. I just have a battery powered fencer now and bring it where I need it.

Bright Raven":3mouovtl said:
M-5":3mouovtl said:

The guy at Lowe's said he thought it would hold up longer to UV than using white pvc. IDK
https://www.uni-bell.org/view_post2.php?id=70

I've got a 30 ft piece of 3/4 inch pvc arched across a 12 ft gate. Been their 7 or 8 years. Tried to fish the wire thru it but finally just wrapped it around the pipe and taped several times.

1982vett":1wnm423l said:
Bright Raven":1wnm423l said:
M-5":1wnm423l said:

https://www.uni-bell.org/view_post2.php?id=70

I've got a 30 ft piece of 3/4 inch pvc arched across a 12 ft gate. Been their 7 or 8 years. Tried to fish the wire thru it but finally just wrapped it around the pipe and taped several times.

Good read. I think it will be fine.

Plenty of PVC roofs around the world so I know it will hold up to UV rays , but heat softens it and makes it plyable and heat is used to weld it together. I was referring to how it will be crookeder than a Clinton after tension is put on it in the hot son .