Over wormed

Help Support CattleToday:

bird dog

Reaction score
I worked a batch of cows and calves this morning and my son in law helped for the first time. I let him do the worming. When we switched to calves he read the dosage meter in kilos instead of pounds and applied 66o lbs of wormer to 300 lb to a few calves. What harm will this do?

Thanks in advance
Bird dog

It's better to put too much than not enough. Wormers I've used say on the label they have been tested safe to use at 10 x the recommended dosage.

iI worked for a feller one time that had a platform in his working pens over the alley. One guy would sit up there with a 5 gallon bucket of wormer and a big ole soup laddle. As the cows went under him he would just through a laddle or two on them. Never once measured anything.

I have cows ranging from 800 lbs to 130O lbs . Everything get the 1400 lb rate. No problems so far . And the same goes for calves the heaviest is where I set the worm gun .

JSCATTLE":98wm3xry said:
I have cows ranging from 800 lbs to 130O lbs . Everything get the 1400 lb rate. No problems so far . And the same goes for calves the heaviest is where I set the worm gun .
I too set my gun for the heaviest and worm everything the same. It may cost a little more but my vet has told me he thinks most resistance problems have come from not worming at required rates.

Latest posts