Over seeding ryegrass with cattle on pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno said:
sstterry said:
Caustic Burno said:
What are those white things in the second picture?

Cattle egrets. They walk with the cattle catching bugs, mice and snakes the cattle disturbed. The only thing I have seen they won't eat is a toad frog.

Cattle don't seem to mind them much. Took this photo the other day. There are about 20 of them white birds around here.

Caustic Burno said:
I do fertilize my pastures at 200 lbs per acre, it's the cheapest feed you can put in a bovine. As you can see on the cattle in the picture are rolling fat on grass alone.

Is that 200 pounds of 46% nitrogen pellets or is it a combination of P and K also?

Caustic Burno said:
sstterry said:
It appears that the Red River Crabgrass is pretty pricy stuff at $5-8 lb. Can you frost seed it?

Over the decades of this journey I have planted most every kind of bermuda, Alica grass, African Star, Argentine, Paraguay and Pensacola Bahia.
Bahia was the winner for producing the most low cost forage for my environment. And then came Red River nothing compares IMO . It is actually choking out the Bahia and is better forage. I do fertilize my pastures at 200 lbs per acre, it's the cheapest feed you can put in a bovine. As you can see on the cattle in the picture are rolling fat on grass alone.

Cows were really designed to survive and thrive on good grass alone.

Over seeded the pasture at 50lbs Ryegrass seed a acre Cows still On the pasture giving it a good work over before I move them I'm planning on doing the next pasture the same way

DCA farm said:
Over seeded the pasture at 50lbs Ryegrass seed a acre Cows still On the pasture giving it a good work over before I move them I'm planning on doing the next pasture the same way

After Beta I have rye grass coming on.

DCA farm said:
Ryegrass seed actually went down as well I pad payin $37 a sack last year it's only $25 now

:lol: Not much in ag we as a producer pay for that goes down...hmmm...down $12 a bag? :hide: Last years seed in smaller bags? 🤷‍♂️ I barely remember a time where a 50# bag of ryegrass was under $30.

1982vett said:
DCA farm said:
Ryegrass seed actually went down as well I pad payin $37 a sack last year it's only $25 now

:lol: Not much in ag we as a producer pay for that goes down...hmmm...down $12 a bag? :hide: Last years seed in smaller bags? 🤷‍♂️ I barely remember a time where a 50# bag of ryegrass was under $30.

I was surprised myself I'm gonna plant 50lbs acre at that price for sure

Marshall ryegrass seed here is $24/bag this year. Other improved varieties more in line with last year. Not sure why.

1982vett said:
DCA farm said:

Gave 42$ yesterday here.

50lbs a acre into existing forage did not drag after but I ran cows on it for a week after spreading seed. Has not been fertilized

Attachments

• CB7C8489-21D4-452D-AD16-62224DD73994.jpeg
    CB7C8489-21D4-452D-AD16-62224DD73994.jpeg
    338.1 KB · Views: 23
  • D5DE1310-A3D0-4C47-87D4-1599C9E9FDC6.jpeg
    D5DE1310-A3D0-4C47-87D4-1599C9E9FDC6.jpeg
    329.8 KB · Views: 24
I spread one bag of Marshall about 3 weeks ago as an experiment in a lot where I let the cows graze crabgrass down low. It rained about .3 inches the night before. I spread it and it rained an inch the next night. That is all. The ryegrass is 4 inches tall today. I'm going to spread my pastures as soon as it dries up. I've got about 6 acres I'm going to plant some for making haylage out of. Part of me says its just not right to spread it and forget it though.

Can anyone tell me why they say to terminate annual ryegrass before it goes to seed?
we planted just as a cover crop on half our land to help the soil in places.
We've only got 10 cows on 48acres, planted 18 acres Ryegrass (yes late but seedman said the lone-star be fine long as we kept recommended soil temps) and as warm as it's been we r still fine. don't need for grass this winter, just looking to improve the soil. We didn't fence off anything either....

Latest posts