Over Due

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
This cow was due 9/10/13. Anne, GlacierRidgeFarm, and I were discussing her. I told her I would put up a picture. Not on her now, but she has had clear mucus almost every day.
zxo7c5.jpg

show her rump, it will give a much better indication of how close she is to calving.

Plus or minus 14 days.... I hate it when a cow gets so sloppy in back end you'd swear the calf will just fall out and she doesn't calve for another week. Of coarse then there's the ones that you say she's not calving for at least a week or 2. Next day calf. Fun stuff or frustrating?????? yep fun stuff. :)

Your post reminded me of a man that my husband worked for. My husband was the manager of a registered Hereford operation that was owned by a man who lived in Houston. He would come out to the ranch and he and my husband would drive around together looking at the cows. There was one cow that had been bred AI and had passed her due date. He was a fussy sort of guy and started complaining. My husband said, "Mr. H, cows don't read books or gestation tables. She will have it when she is ready."
What does her udder look like? She will be pretty close to calving when the udder gets full and the teats look shiny.
Hope that all goes well.

We have one cow, due in 10 days, that has looked like if she coughs, the calf will fly out.... she is so big and sloppy! Then some that do not show until a few days before. Those kill you! I bet she will have a bull calf, usually they are late! Boys have a problem following instructions, and come when they want :nod:

Fire Sweep Ranch":79f6ptuk said:
He looks like he has a good bit of bone! Is he sired by your angus bull? Looks decent for a newborn:)
Kris,
I think she is my best cow. She is a heifer from the Hudson Pine/Rocking P Partnership. This cow has a lot of good assets. But I believe the last 3 calves from my bull are starting to look better. Yes, he is from my bull. He is big. I cut off the hanging cord and sprayed it with antibiotic. I was moving him around and he is in that 80 or 85 range estimate.