Over due?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a black angus cow that should have calved on or about July 8. This was her date calculated from the time the bull was with her. She started stringing on July 7 and stopped. She still appears to be with the calf and is moving slow when walking, with no running. I am aware that she might not have been bred during her first cycle. My question is once the stringing started, why did it stop? Also, should I be concerned about the time issue?

David":qc271n78 said:
I have a black angus cow that should have calved on or about July 8. This was her date calculated from the time the bull was with her. She started stringing on July 7 and stopped. She still appears to be with the calf and is moving slow when walking, with no running. I am aware that she might not have been bred during her first cycle. My question is once the stringing started, why did it stop? Also, should I be concerned about the time issue?

they can do that on and off for several days before calving.
is she still running with the herd? or separated herself off?
if she is still running with the herd she is probably ok, but
if in doubt get her palpated to see that calf is still alive, right position, etc

good luck

jt

passing of mucus is common throughout the stages of pregnancy,

Late gestation, you will see, a yellow clear mucus followed by a thick mucus which is generaly the mucus plug from the cervix

Palpate her, if nothing else to stimulate the calf to be born, if not it may be dead and too large to come out with out help, have lube on hand, if she has been in labor, she may require additional fluid lubricant to extract the calf,

We have had calves as late as 28 days to an AI and varrified parentage by blood typing, the calf was very large, apx 130 lb

Latest posts