Over doing it on fence??

Help Support CattleToday:

slb714

Reaction score
I just bought 22 head of cattle, some angus and some black baldies, looking for a REG, angus bull, the problem is that I have them with my uncles cows right now, but he doesn't want a black angus on his herefords, so we are putting up a fence to seperate his 40 and my 40 acres, and he wants to put the t-posts every 8ft, we are gonna run 3 to 4 strand barb wire along with hot wire on both sides, I think there is no need to run the t-posts that close, the run is about 1320ft long, and I will be putting a big post in the middle of the run to tighten barb wire, do yall think we can put the t-posts farther apart??

slb714":2lzrznew said:
I just bought 22 head of cattle, some angus and some black baldies, looking for a REG, angus bull, the problem is that I have them with my uncles cows right now, but he doesn't want a black angus on his herefords, so we are putting up a fence to seperate his 40 and my 40 acres, and he wants to put the t-posts every 8ft, we are gonna run 3 to 4 strand barb wire along with hot wire on both sides, I think there is no need to run the t-posts that close, the run is about 1320ft long, and I will be putting a big post in the middle of the run to tighten barb wire, do yall think we can put the t-posts farther apart??
Why cut corners? Do it right one time.I'd run at least 5 strands of BW and have a line post at least every 100 feet.The cost of putting your steel posts on 8ft vs. 10 ft. is negligible.

Crowderfarms":3mxaiawj said:
slb714":3mxaiawj said:
Why cut corners? Do it right one time.I'd run at least 5 strands of BW and have a line post at least every 100 feet.The cost of putting your steel posts on 8ft vs. 10 ft. is negligible.

IMO putting one strand fence between 2 bulls where they can still touch noses and blow snot on each other is just a problem looking for a spot to happen. Put that hot wire three feet away from the fence on both sides, now they will just run up and down the fence beller and dig holes.

Two breeding age bulls only separated by a single fence row with breeding age cows or heifers with one or both bulls is a wreck waiting to happen.

We keep our breeding age bulls separated by either a 14' alley, a vacant pasture, or a pipe fenced holding pen. Our fences are 5.5' high for all our Longhorns for extra safety...we have long frontage on a major State highway.

I'm with Caustic on this one. Especially when talking Angus bulls.

Thanks for the reply's guys!! not sure yet what we are gonna do, but it does look like trouble... thanks again

Latest posts