Over consumption of Minerals

Help Support CattleToday:

smoky

Reaction score
No matter what type or how much I put out my minerals (bag, tub, salt mixed, salt separate) I just can't seem to ever get the herd to regulate at the level I am told they should. My cows look good, however I don't think 35 head with calves should be going through 100# of loose minerals that are already 5-10% salt that are being mixed with another 100# of salt in a week's time. That's 200# of product being consumed per week at a cost of about $40/week. If I don't mix in as much salt, the consumption is even faster, and I'm not sure if they need to be mixed at a higher rate than 50-55% salt.

No matter which brand I try, they don't ever seem to regulate to the 2-10 oz/head/day that I hear everyone speak of. They also seem to consume the Feed In A Drum tub style minerals at a much higher rate than the 1/4 lb/hd/day that that product states.

I really don't think that they are deficient of anything, they just seem to pig out on minerals at my expense!

I have tried Right Now, Copperhead, Feed In A Drum, Purina Wind and Rain, etc, etc, as well as some locally mixed products with the same over consumption rate. Realize that these cows are consuming between 3/4 and 1 pound per cow per day (I realize the calves are getting some, but they are only 1-4 months old, so probably not all that much)!

Any Ideas?

Thanks,

Smoky

smoky":2dszuphs said:
Any Ideas?

Thanks,

Smoky

Have you had your grass tested? It could very well be severly deficient in some type of mineral, and that is why your cattle are going nuts on the mineral you put out.

I'd say your herd is deficient in something, that is why they are going crazy over the minerals. They should at some point level out and their consumption will be more normal.

How long have you been putting this mineral out? And did you ever give mineral supplements before you started this?

We use seaweed meal free choice as the minerals for our goats. When we started for about 4 months they couldnt get enough of the stuff. Then they stopped eating it. What we do now is we offer it once a month, for a couple of days they eat it then they stop, so we take it away. Another month down the track we repeat.

A friend is also using seaweed for his goats. They have been putting it out for about six months now and their goats still havent had enough of it. They are putting out between 60 and 90 kg per day for a each mob of 250 odd goats. Thats a lot of seaweed.

Mineral consumption is a funny thing. Most of the year ours eat barely the minimum expected and frequently less then that. Currently they are eating about 4 times the expected amount. The fescue is mature and headed out and they are eating the seed heads like crazy and not eatig as much leaf. Obviously the mineral requirements change througout the year. If they alwasy ate way more then expected, even with having changed mineral formulations, I would guess that there is a deficiency in the value of your forage.

My girls are eating minerals like candy bars. Just can't seem to get enough of them at this time. They are starting to slow down now, but I must say, my cows look the BEST they ever have.

On one of my pastures I run about 35 cows and 32 calves and they go through about 1 bag a week but I do not mix salt. I currently use Cargill with altosid and 3 weeks back they would not even touch the minerals. They seem to know how much they need.

Check your forage in your pasture. Is it dry or green? Have it tested for the mineral contant.
Something else you said, when you do not mix in alot of salt the consumtion increases. Check your water too.
We have a water source that causes our cattle to eat more salt then mineral.

It does sound like a water or grass issue, maybe too much of iron, sulphur, etccc... something that is tying up another needed mineral. Throughout the year consumption changes based on rain, or no rain, maturity of grass etc... Animals could hunt for plants that afforded the minerals they needed before the invention of barbwire, thus they are at the mercy of us to supply their needs.

I think everyone has come up with the "issues" that might be causing you problem.

My cattle will tend to not eat very much mineral in April-June, increase in July-early Sep, decrease back down in late Sep-Nov, and the increase again in Dec-Mar. We have predominantly cool season grasses, so as you can see, when the grass is green, consumption is down. In the dormant periods, consumption is up.

bandit80":2n6jna5z said:
I think everyone has come up with the "issues" that might be causing you problem.

My cattle will tend to not eat very much mineral in April-June, increase in July-early Sep, decrease back down in late Sep-Nov, and the increase again in Dec-Mar. We have predominantly cool season grasses, so as you can see, when the grass is green, consumption is down. In the dormant periods, consumption is up.

Grass quality drops as well during the hot months. Most minerals contain cottonseed meal, distillers grain and/or other sources of protein as well as dried molasses to make it palatable. Even tho most minerals carry no protein guarantees, I'm thinking the cattle may be overeating the mineral in an attempt to satisfy their protein needs as well as any minerals needs they may have.

Mine were eating way more than I expected. It was the millers own formula. I went to Bryants and they consume about half as much. They are no less healthy than they were before and I believe their heat cycles are a little more regular. Seems that way anyway.

Cattle will consume Minerals at different rates depending on Pasture conditions, and seem to consume more in hot weather.I've gone through 150 pounds in 2 and a half weeks.Have not had any measureable rain here in this little pocket for almost a month.

I have a rented bahai pasture where the cattle over eat everything that is put in front of them. Hay, salt , mineral or protein. I am thinking of taking some soil samples. Hoping to discover what the problem is . Times are to tough to be over feeding.

Hi
According to some of the top mineral people in the country cattle don't really have a crazing for any minerals other than salt. That is why salt is added to most mineral mixs so they will eat the others.
One thing you may need to look at is where you have placed your mineral feeder. If cattle are overconsuming your minerals try moving the feeder away from areas were they tend to stay alot of the time such as water and shade. It is also a good way to get cattle to graze portions of the field that they dont tend to stay in much. If you need to increase mineral consumption try moving feeders too these areas where cattle tend to stay.

bandit80":1xkesejx said:

My cattle pretty much have the same eating habits in regards to minerals as bandit80

Central Fl Cracker":ujzoj45z said:
bandit80":ujzoj45z said:

My cattle pretty much have the same eating habits in regards to minerals as bandit80

Yep....grass starts getting tough and losing nutrients the cow tries to supplement with mineral. Knowing they will tend to overconsume during these times you may want to drop down to a mineral that is not quite so heavily fortified, save a few bucks and the cattle still get all they need.

Latest posts