Outboard Fuel Issue ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Have a 3 cylinder Yamaha that I run with only 91 octane ethanol free fuel - - will now only run with the choke about 1/2 out. I assume there are some fuel deposits from sitting over the winter. Any magic elixirs to try here?

If you can get it run with straight seafoam that may help. Otherwise, tear down the carb and soak it good and clean out the varnish.

Yeah, I'd bet it goop in the jets.. I've never tried seafoam.. I usually just tear the carb apart and clean it as step 1.. probably just a piece of crud in the jet

More often than not, that's a tell tale sign of needing disassembled and a proper cleaning. Soak parts in something like Chem-dip for a while and blow passages with compressed air.

Stocker Steve":v4lmmu32 said:
Have a 3 cylinder Yamaha that I run with only 91 octane ethanol free fuel - - will now only run with the choke about 1/2 out. I assume there are some fuel deposits from sitting over the winter. Any magic elixirs to try here?

Trade it in on a four stroke fuel injected Yammerhammer. Problem solved. :cowboy:

How do we really know we are getting ethanol free gas. Both looks the same. A person at a station could make more dollars per gallon substituting the 10% ethanol gas for ethanol free. I just disasembled a cub tractor carb that had ethanol free gas with stabil that was pretty gummed up.Had set about three months with the gas in the tank.

Caustic Burno":12oc85a5 said:
As mentioned sea foam is about as good as it gets. Best remedy is to run that outboard about every two weeks in the off season.
I never get to doing that.. I have a dozen chainsaws and small engines around

Best preventative thing to do is install a fuel shutoff and run it until the carb is dry

Nesikep":23b8z744 said:
Caustic Burno":23b8z744 said:
As mentioned sea foam is about as good as it gets. Best remedy is to run that outboard about every two weeks in the off season.
I never get to doing that.. I have a dozen chainsaws and small engines around

Best preventative thing to do is install a fuel shutoff and run it until the carb is dry

Mine doesn't have carbs fuel injected I thought most were now. Or is that just the 4 stroke.

Some of the new chainsaws have electronic carbs, and they don't have all the kinks worked out of them as far as I know... Both stihl and husky have different versions of the same general idea.

Stocker Steve":rey1dgph said:
Caustic Burno":rey1dgph said:
Fishing partner just bought a new Nitro
with a 2 cycle 250 Mercury.
It's fuel injected.

I need another friend :nod:
It's nice just got off the phone planning a Toledo Bend trip next week.
Fished Sam Rayburn today till the wind got to pushing 20 mph about 9 this morning

Been using Sea Foam since I heard about it on the iboats Forum site back in 2004. My engine at the time was a 90 Merc 2 stroker and in all that time I had the carbs off once and the problem was a piece of rubber fuel line, not ethanol varnish. I should have changed my fuel lines at 10 yrs and I didn't and yes I use E-10. Combustion chambers were squeaky clean. Kept it in every tank. Swear by it. Using that and Pennzoil semi-syn. TC-W3 you couldn't tell it was a 2 stroker except on the hole shot and there was barely a trace using premix 50-1 (I disabled my VRO at 10 yrs of engine age......just felt like it was time, no other reason.)

Was in a farm store today and the spray is now a different product than what they used to use which was just an aerosol SF they sold in a pint can. The new stuff has a lot more goodies on the label and the price attests to that....16 oz was 7 bucks for the non aerosol SF and 12 oz aerosol of the new spray was 10. They also now sell another version with a green label added to the regular red on the white can which is aimed at the penetrating oil market.

Texasmark":18q9pnns said:
Was in a farm store today and the spray is now a different product than what they used to use which was just an aerosol SF they sold in a pint can. The new stuff has a lot more goodies on the label and the price attests to that....16 oz was 7 bucks for the non aerosol SF and 12 oz aerosol of the new spray was 10.

What do you get for the higher cost of the spray?

Stocker Steve":1753zm60 said:
Texasmark":1753zm60 said:
Was in a farm store today and the spray is now a different product than what they used to use which was just an aerosol SF they sold in a pint can. The new stuff has a lot more goodies on the label and the price attests to that....16 oz was 7 bucks for the non aerosol SF and 12 oz aerosol of the new spray was 10.

Probably a warning label that says "harmful if swallowed"....

1982vett":vinct68w said:
Stocker Steve":vinct68w said:
Texasmark":vinct68w said:

Probably a warning label that says "harmful if swallowed"....

The label tells you what to expect. The MSDS might give you a clue as to how.

Latest posts