Outboard Boat Motors

Help Support CattleToday:

The actual drive in all outboards is direct shaft to the gearbox. I think when referring to belt or chain you are only talking about driving the camshaft as in the late model 4 strokes. 2 strokes are simpler and just have reed valves. I would think that unless you are going for a more expensive late model outfit that most boats you would see that meet your requirements will be 2 strokes.

Ken

Ol' 243":9tgfi49u said:
I have been in the boat business for over 30 years, I own a marina here in Alabama. The new four strokes are all good if properly maintained, the folks that maintain em right get good service out of all of em. If I were buying a new motor it would be a Yamaha without a doubt. If I were to have to make a living by only repairing late model, four stroke Yamaha's, I wouldn't have enough work to stay in business. Case closed, class is over.
Yamaha and Suzuki own the Galveston Bay system see very few Mercury .
I don't know about today back when Johnson and Evinrude were king Mercury had bad electrolysis problems. You couldn't give one away in that Bay Area.

I am going to really have to save my pennies to get a newer motor. I feel that more boats will come up for sale after duck season is closed here on January 29th.
This is going to be tough trying to find an 1860 with a Yamaha motor. But I will keep looking. I drove a 1860 With a 2000 model 50 Hp Mercury with a 3 cylinder motor on it. It fired up the first time and had enough power to push the boat. It was nice, and they wouldn't come off the price of the boat. It was a 2002 Lowe Rough Neck. I went back to get it the next day and they had already sold it. Yes, I know the saying, "Snooze you lose."

The temps dropped down to 18* last night here. It is almost too cold to try out a boat, but can put on all of my Army gear.

Ken, I definitely look like the Michelin man. :lol2:

I am so green on these outboard motors that I am going to learn a lot in this process. Each time I have gone to look at a motor, I learn a bit more. One motor I looked at the water didn't immediately start pushing through the water pump and out the back. Later I learned that the water pump has a thermostat and has to be warm before it starts pushing it through. This was a 1999 Johnson. The more I listen to all of you, my thoughts are changing.

I have been renting boats to go fishing, and at ReelFoot Lake, they have Toyhatsu motors on all of their boats. They are small engines but they always crank the first time and never miss a lick. I am sure they got a good deal on the motors as they needed several for their fleet. I don't think I will put my own boat in Reelfoot Lake as we stay hung up on so many stumps. The lake is really low at this time, and I hope that the rains come and get the water level back up to normal. At times the boat is hung in the air and we have to rock it for a long time to get it off the stumps. We stay slow, but still, it is not good on the boats.

I am looking forward to the spring and start Bream fishing. They taste so good dredged in cornmeal and fry them whole in an iron skillet. Maybe by then I will find a good boat and motor.

Reelfoot is a hoot. A beautiful lake, but hard on equipment. My suggestion to navigating RF, if you don't know where you can run and where you can't, is to either actually idle around or bump it up to five mile an hour or a touch more, sliding over the stumps you can't see, instead of going so slow you hang up on them. Also, having a hook type anchor with a long light cord to throw way out there, then use it to pull yourself off the stumps is sometimes great to have.

Caustic Burno":ytd616dc said:
Yamaha and Suzuki own the Galveston Bay system see very few Mercury.

Had a dirt farmer room mate who joined the Peace Corp after school. They offered him a ticket to west Africa - - but he said no way. Then they sent him to Tahiti as second choice. :nod: The men didn't do much on land but they went salt water fishing (with Yamahas) on nice days. US designed 2 stroke outboards did not hold up.

talltimber":2dibnrt6 said:
Reelfoot is a hoot. A beautiful lake, but hard on equipment. My suggestion to navigating RF, if you don't know where you can run and where you can't, is to either actually idle around or bump it up to five mile an hour or a touch more, sliding over the stumps you can't see, instead of going so slow you hang up on them. Also, having a hook type anchor with a long light cord to throw way out there, then use it to pull yourself off the stumps is sometimes great to have.

Sounds like Toledo Bend down here.

Tohatsu is actually a decent brand for a really reasonable price.

All of the new 4 strokes are nice. They are quiet and get great fuel economy.

Suzuki is the lightest on the market. The shallow water guys love them. You can't hardly hear a new on idle. Its amazing how quiet they are. They also have a good price tag.

Yahama is still king of the water. All the professionals on the water run Yahama. You will pay a premium but its worth every penny. Finding one used will be tough.

The Evenrude Etec is nice as are Mercury. Mercury use to be known as only a fresh water motor but that has changed with the new motors.

Almost all the small boat commercial fishermen around here use Yamaha. They are sure rough on them but seem to hold up better than the rest. Evenrude was THE outboard for years but now no one uses them here.