Out of curiosity - Hereford cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
This probably has been discussed before, but my question is this:

Why aren't all Hereford cattle used in commercial production in Alberta (or other states/provinces) polled?

Too general? Probably. But I'm curious.

Because some of them have horns. :lol: Just kidding!! I am just basing this on what I've heard through the years, but I think the horned herefords have some qualities which are superior to their polled counterparts such as generally thicker, more muscular bodies. For this reason, the horned hereford has remained. Boone

What about having something to do with how dangerous they are because they've got horns? I'm answering my question here: duh!

So its on with polled vs. horned... :roll:

IluvABbeef":plw0mqqb said:
What about having something to do with how dangerous they are because they've got horns? I'm answering my question here: duh!

So its on with polled vs. horned... :roll:

You may find that most Horned Herefords have dispositions like a flat lap cat, but use their horns to ward off preditors that get too close to their calves.
--Julian

I live in Alberta and raise Horned hereford cattle as my family has done for 40+ years. It is my opinion that the polled and horned herefords are two seperate breeds. Horned cattle are know for being more "rancher" type cattle. That is they are heavier boned, easier fleshing and generally built for a tougher environment (which we have in lots of AB). That is not to say that the polled cattle do not carry these traits--in fact if you take a look you will see that many polled breeders iin the US and Canada are using horned genetics to change their cattle. Likewise the Horned breeders are using polled genetics to add the advantages that polled cattle have. Mainly ....horns only add a bit of extra work at branding time when you dehorn--but the feeling is that less people will want to do the work. Interesting to see how the breeds work together in the future.
:) :) :)

Sadly here in SA the two sectors of the same breed really doesn't work together well. Some horned breeders even advertise the horned cattle to fix the problems of the polled cattle. I've recently visited a few herds both horned and polled and at least here in SA I can't see the advantage the horned guys are claiming to have over the polled. They are not thicker, nor do they have more width and pigmentation, what I have to admit is that mst horned herefords have better eye set. As for the polled cattle, they have better udders and is in my opinion growthier and they maybe have a touch more width between the pins.

I breed mostly polled, but have a few horns and to me it doesn't matter if a horned bull gets sold or a polled bull, as long as its a hereford, because that is to the breeds advantage and in future better for both the horned and polled market. I don't think infighting within the breed does anyone's marketshare any good.

Interesting to hear your opinion....I agree that it doesn't do any good to "slam" the other side. 25 years ago our family tried crossin the polled/horned cattle and my dad said it didn't work---but the cattle have changed since then. As for myself I think there are advantages of both horned and polled cattle along with weaknesses....I haven't decided about crossing the two yet.......guess we'll wait and see. :)

I live in Minnesota and to be truthful I've yet to see a horned hereford outside of shows. No one wants a horned bull. Just my 2 cents.

Australian Cattleman":2jqf6y1o said:
Here in Australia the debates goes on as to whether both the horned and the polled societies amalgamate to form one society to have greater power of promotion. I prefer Hereford to Poll Hereford. But who can really tell which is the best.
colin

Just wondering if many people there are crossing the polled/horned genetics ??? Would you say more polled guys are using horned bulls or vice versa ???

I would say more horned guys are using polled. Also see a few horned guys dehorning their two year old bulls before they sell them. I have used horned thorugh A.I. on my polled cows and there is definite advantage. Growth and frame in the horned herefords cannot be matched by the polled. Birthweights are heavier though.

We have both and in our commercial herd we usually have to dehorn about 25% of the calves at branding - no big deal when they are little we just use an iron. I like the heft and shape of the horned bulls and I agree their disposition is unbeatable - they are just big puppies! I don't really care about the pigmentation - we're just all about carcass and growth rate and the our herd is crossbred commercial cows that have been bred from our program ( I don't buy cows.) but we're very particular when it comes to the bulls we buy - so I tend to choose polled bulls that have the heavier charictaristics and shape more like the horned ones - I pretty much make my decision based on the performance of each individual bull.

A reply to jenran, a few people use polled bulls over their horned cows. I think what happened to the detriment of the Poll Hereford breed unfortunately, imported US and Canadian bulls were used over some very good Hereford herds and they immediately started having calving problems and many structural faults and the cattle did not perform when the going got tough. I think this might have stopped a lot of horned breeders using polled bulls.
A lot of shonkey trading went on in the late 70's early 80's and later to, The Canadians and US cattlebreeders seen the Australians coming and sold them just about anything for ridiculous money. Any progeny whether it was good or not made big money. Many small investors went to the wall with the lure of these imported genetics. The NAs are not all to blame the Austrlians should have been more astute and spotted the dud,monstrous frame scored and lack of fleshing future sires and not bought them. I think a few went over there and though I might as well take something back after coming all this way.
Colin

What I find interesting about this question that goes on and on and comes up again and again, is they all came from the same place and a guy in one of the I states selectively breed to get polled. It is kinda like argueing if the glass is half full or empty all the rest is BS.

I like polled simply because dehorning is nasty and a big pain in the @$$! In the dairy business that I have been involved with, I can't tell a difference in temper. But, I admit, I can't contribute about carcasses, birthing, etc. when you compare the two. Hot iron dehorning sucks for the calves and the people, but in this business you do what you have to do!

Latest posts