Our Vacation to California

Help Support CattleToday:

BRG

Reaction score
My wife and I took a vacation last week. We left the kids at Grampa's house. We all had fun. We flew into San Francisco spent a couple days there and then headed up to Napa Valley. Quite fun and pretty, but I think the good old Dakotas are just as pretty if not prettier. Good place to visit but was nice to get home.

Here is Alcatraz from our hotel parking lot

A cable car

I took this of Kristen while we were waiting for people to load the cable car

China Town - If you like Chinese food, you need to go to China Town sometime and eat where the locals do.

Seals soaking up the sun

The Golden Gate bridge and the two of us

The Golden Gate again

This is the cable that hangs down and holds the Golden Gate up

What the cable really is and how much is on the bridge

Here is Kristen beside a Red Wood

A lookout over the ocean on HWY 1 - right beside me where I took the photo their were several holes with steel siding around it, a sign said it was a look out for enemy ships and it used to have cannons mounted their during World War II

The ocean and coast again

Here is the second winery we went to. It is where and what the movie Bottle Shock was filmed and made after. This is the winery that competed in a wine tasting competition against the famous French wines in the 70's and won. Before this contest the area was struggling to get anything sold. It put them on the map. The movie is pretty good. We just kind of stumbled upon the winery that day.

Here is a great view from another winery

Here we are enjoying the view and a glass of wine

Some grapes for a red wine

Some grapes for a white wine

Here is a fan that they use on cold nights to get the air moving to prevent a freeze. Nearly all of the fields had some type of fan. It was pretty interesting.

On the last night, we went up on the Bank of America tower and had drinks. We were at the top and it was 52 floors up. We watched the sun set over the Golden Gate Bridge.

You also see the bay where ships came in and out of?

Nice pictures! Yes, the Dakotas are very beautiful, I agree. How cool that you got to see a little bit of California. There's lots to do in the bay area and San Francisco, for being a big city is also a pretty small one which makes it easier to explore.

iowahawkeyes":2gljg7kt said:
very nice pics! is that fog or smog?

One thing I miss most about living in northern CA is the cool moist air that rolls in and out from the ocean. They say that's one of the factors that creates such a good climate for growing wine grapes in Napa and Sonoma counties. It also allows for the temperate rain forests - if you've seen Star Wars Return of the Jedi and remember the ewok village and forest scenes, they were filmed in northern CA. Very prehistoric looking.

Niec pics BRG,

We took the kids on vacation to San Francisco a few years back. It was nice, but everything else paled in comparison when we drove to Yosemite (about 5 or 6 hours to the east). San Fran. was too cold for me at night, but I am a southern boy. Had a lot of fun driving the convertible rental car up and down the streets/hills.

Excellent pics...

While you were at Sterling Vineyards did you take the "skyway"... it's the only 3 point tram in the United States.

DavisBeefmasters":yjn1oe2i said:
Excellent pics...

While you were at Sterling Vineyards did you take the "skyway"... it's the only 3 point tram in the United States.

Wow, I am impressed! You know your winery's. I don't think I mentioned I was at Sterling, but the good view picture is from the balcony. Ya we took the skyway. It was pretty cool!

I've been there and your picture looks really darn close to the pictures I have... and yes, Sterling is way cool!