Our trip

Help Support CattleToday:

Santas and Duhram Reds

Reaction score
Saw the other thread and thought I would do something similar. We left yesterday to go on a poker run for a cattle association. We are to visit 5 cattle operations and get a card at each one. At the end everyone throws their cards down and the winner gets $1000. We spent the night in Coffeyville KS last night. Surprised the beans here aren't as far along as ours. Today our first stop in Lenepah (sp?) Oklahoma. Then we go to Havanna Kansas. Hope to keep you posted.

I think a lot of folks out there double crop beans after the winter wheat is harvested, which would explain why they aren't as far along. Maybe someone from Kansas will come along and let us know. Have a safe trip.

We plkanted beans on the 8th of April and finished on the 5th of July. We had double crop beans planted before we finished planting first crop because that wheat ground dried out quicker. Anyway have a safe trip and I'll make you a deal, if you'll post some pics I will too.

Larry

How'd the trip go? I really wished I could have gone, but I'm sure I'll end up seeing quite a few of those cattle soon.
Who do you think had the best set?

Our first stop was Broken Arrow Ranch. If I remember correctly they have about 1500 acres in Lenepah Ok. The frst set we saw was a group of hereford cows that they were using Santa bulls on. IMO the most impressive bull in this set was a Harris bull. Then we saw a set of Santa cows that they were using Hereford and Red Angus bulls on. The final set was the the Santa cows with a Santa bull. They were using a bull they call Icon.

We tehn went to Kilgore's Krazy K in Havanna Kansas. I was very impressed with one of his bull's he calls Wayland. He was very moderate frame with lots of depth. Gene focuses a lot on Genestar markers and stressed how he uses them in his operation. He also said that in his herd he likes to use bulls that are opposites or compliments to each other rather than breeding for a specific type over and over again. He then show us a framey bull that he uses to compliment his Wayland bull.

That night we went to Joplin Stockyards a saw the Shields show cattle and listened to a Pfizer rep. and a Stockyard rep. Shield's had a bull calf that was 1/2 Santa and 1/2 Brahman that was a very good calf. He really didn't look like he was half Brahman. He was actually cleaner than a lot of Gerts I have seen on other places. The Pfizer guy talked about immunizations and said that it is estimated that 42% of all cattle in the U.S. have 1 of 6 strains of Lepto. The Joplin Stockyards said they are second only to Oklahoma City in numbers of cattle sales with over 450,000 per year. They also talked about how they group like cattle from different farms based on weights and frame scores so the the buyer gets more uniform lots and the sellers get a higher price.

Sunday we went to the Gautz's in Carthage MO and saw there cattle. The use AI'ing extensively and use a Jersey gomer bull to help detect heats. Very thick cattle. The final farm was the Schultz's in Seneca MO. The are currently using a hereford bull on their Santa cow herd while they are looking for a replacement Santa bull.

Strange happenings. Almost all of our beer was stolen while out of our hospitality room at the Holiday Inn while our group was at the Joplin Stockyards. I won 10 straws of semen that was a door prize. The 1000 dollars was split between two winners. We visited the Little House on the Prairie home that is about 5 miles from Kilgores place. Evidently Kansas doesn't have a helmet rulefor motorcyclists. Oklahoma was pretty green where we were. We met an older couple that shares our last name and talked a lot with them.

All in all it was good fun. Next year we may focus on Missouri and Arkansas.

Latest posts