Our project

Help Support CattleToday:

Disposition wise, there's not much difference between the big BWF and the SimHereford, they are both calm and laid back. The solid black bull is generally decent, but he can be flighty, and occasionally has a temper and wants to challenge me.
if he isn't all that bad...just a little cantankerous once in a while, I'd keep him. You got 3 good bulls there, all a year apart in age, right? How many cows and heifers do you have? If enough to keep all 3 content , then keep them. You have plenty of time to screen you calf crop each year for another good potential sire for when the BWF ages out. Then when the black one ages out, etc. Looks like you got everything you need to be fully self contained. And when you run up on an exceptional cow, bull or heifer you'd like, wouldn't hurt a thing to add it in. Now, I guess you are tired of me saying the "Br" word, but those red ones in that group of heifers you posted? I sure would like to put a reg, homozygous polled and black Brangus bull on them! If we were closer, hell I'd loan you one! :)

if he isn't all that bad...just a little cantankerous once in a while, I'd keep him. You got 3 good bulls there, all a year apart in age, right? How many cows and heifers do you have? If enough to keep all 3 content , then keep them. You have plenty of time to screen you calf crop each year for another good potential sire for when the BWF ages out. Then when the black one ages out, etc. Looks like you got everything you need to be fully self contained. And when you run up on an exceptional cow, bull or heifer you'd like, wouldn't hurt a thing to add it in. Now, I guess you are tired of me saying the "Br" word, but those red ones in that group of heifers you posted? I sure would like to put a reg, homozygous polled and black Brangus bull on them! If we were closer, hell I'd loan you one! :)
No, I'm not tired of the Br word. I would go that route if there were a few around here. About all the ear cattle here are Beefmaster or Santa Gertrudis.
In reality 2 bulls would do what we need, but always like to have a spare.

No, I'm not tired of the Br word. I would go that route if there were a few around here. About all the ear cattle here are Beefmaster or Santa Gertrudis.
In reality 2 bulls would do what we need, but always like to have a spare.
Interesting ! Is this because no one has tried Brangus yet? Or is it that for some reason the red eared ones sell for more than the black ones?!! How do Braford do up there?

Interesting ! Is this because no one has tried Brangus yet? Or is it that for some reason the red eared ones sell for more than the black ones?!! How do Braford do up there?
I don't know why there aren't more Brangus here, they would definitely sell better than red cattle.
Brafords would get docked too here,
Ear cattle are few and far between here, but I really believe they would work well here based on the few I've had.

Breeding to 3/4 Angus 1/4 Simmental. A 6 year old bull I raised. Calves will be black
Were you able to find that red Brahma raised on fescue? They ought to do good with that bull. Maybe you won;t have to taake them way down here to sell them. I was thinking about it the other day. Most every where, black calves top the market, and in the lower third of the country, Brangus type sell as well. White, red, etc, take a cut ( actually not a cut, they just don't bring the CAB premium) Other people on here, like west and north west, claim Charolais and Charolais cross being the most. People from all over the northern third say eared cattle get docked. But they all end up at the same feedlots, going to the same processors. Weird, ain't it?

Were you able to find that red Brahma raised on fescue? They ought to do good with that bull. Maybe you won;t have to taake them way down here to sell them. I was thinking about it the other day. Most every where, black calves top the market, and in the lower third of the country, Brangus type sell as well. White, red, etc, take a cut ( actually not a cut, they just don't bring the CAB premium) Other people on here, like west and north west, claim Charolais and Charolais cross being the most. People from all over the northern third say eared cattle get docked. But they all end up at the same feedlots, going to the same processors. Weird, ain't it?
Yes an auctioneer knew I was looking and called me when she came to their stockyard. He bought her and sent her to me. A few weeks earlier he sent me 2 beautiful brangus heifers. All somewhat locally but on fescue.
As to all ending up in the same feedlot not especially. Many of the southern calves end up in Herford, TX. As hot a place as you can get I thought. But whether north or south there is a lot of variety of colors in any feedlot.

I don't know why there aren't more Brangus here, they would definitely sell better than red cattle.
Brafords would get docked too here,
Ear cattle are few and far between here, but I really believe they would work well here based on the few I've had.
Oh yeah, Braford steers wouldn't bring any more than Herefords down here...not as much as black cattle anyway. What does sell well, over much of the south and mid-west, Texas, Oklahoma, etc., is f1 Brahma x Hereford cows and heifers. They will bring more than any other commercial cow or heifer will. Of course to get them you gonna end up with half of your calves being a Braford steer, which will take a cut, like you say. But, an f1 or pure Braford bred to one of those 3 bulls you have, are gonna make a black steer or heifer with hardly any ear or leather, and have plenty of "high bread vinegar". I used to "try stuff just to see", but in today's economy, I understand anybody being reluctant to experiment, especially someone who does it for a living. I have a couple of clients that I buy for, that are in it primarily as a way to shelter money .Hell, I suspect one is actually "laundering" but it ain't none of my business, unless he tries to screw me on a deal. With these guys, they don't question what I suggest they buy, or breed, so I am going to get them, or let them, do some " try it and see"-ing.

Very gentle.
I kinda figured by her eyes she was. Brahma get a bad rep, Kinda like us bikers do. Bikers are usually the most respectful, kind and generous folks you can meet. This month no telling how many millions of dollars have been raised in toy runs all over the country. Hardly a week goes by that I am not involved in some kind of benefit or other, usually involving a children;s hospital, a sick or injured child, death of someone in the community, or a family that got burned out, etc. And my brothers in the wind is who I know I can count on. We are NOT Sons of anarchy. But, bikers will not tolerate you disrespecting them, and will "school you" in manners before you can say " I'm sorry". In other words, they won't take no sh*t off nobody. Brahmas are like that, too. Just won't take no sh*t off anybody!" :)

Latest posts