Our new girl.

Help Support CattleToday:

DOC HARRIS":11ucg7yj said:
HD-

This is an example of a top quality...legs on all four corners. Heifers like this combine with "balanced" bulls of like EPD's and DNA pave the tough road to beef cattle success!

DOC HARRIS

Best opinion all year. And no, I'm not a journalist, I just play one on CT.

Ali calved early this morning in between checks. The weather has been beautiful (right around freezing) and when I went out at 7am this little gal was already cleaned, dried and had a belly full of groceries :D

HUGE relief.

She is beautiful and her dam is a heck of a mom. Now I can start her back on feed to get her into condition for show this summer.

Calving has just settled in nicely BUT in the first 10 cows that calved we had 3 sets of twins in a row. Not really what I want but I will take it. :|

Hopefully the girls will be pretty much done before I have to go in for more surgery again and I can take some time to concentrate on me and my recovery. I am a disappointed that they did not get all of the cancer the first time and am definitely not looking forward to having to go into town every day for 6 weeks for radiation and blood work but all looks good as far as the rest and I probably do not need chemo after all.

Thank you everyone for all of your prayers, well wishes, PM's and phone calls. This CT family truly is one of a kind I am extremely grateful to have you all in my life :heart:

Happy calving and may all of your babies be born on warm, sun shiny days! :tiphat:

A very beautiful baby calf. Glad it went well. Take care of yourself. I keep you in my prayers. Thanks for sharing that good picture.

Williamsv":37glsl49 said:
A very beautiful baby calf. Glad it went well. Take care of yourself. I keep you in my prayers. Thanks for sharing that good picture.

Thank you Mrs. Williams!!!

Nice heifer Wanda......I lost a pure power calf today. She dropped him in a woodpile and he got his neck stuck under him and suffocated. I am sick. I bought a twin from a guy up the road and grafted it but it will just be a commercial calf.

3waycross":1v53jwqf said:
Nice heifer Wanda......I lost a pure power calf today. She dropped him in a woodpile and he got his neck stuck under him and suffocated. I am sick. I bought a twin from a guy up the road and grafted it but it will just be a commercial calf.

I am so sorry about your calf Vic. I have typed something to say 5 times and I deleted every time as there is nothing to say that will even come close to what I want to say.

I went out to check cows this morning and a coming 6 year old cow was dead, she dropped right where she was standing and she was going to calve any day now.

How about, IT SUCKS !!!

hillsdown":2r35rk4h said:
3waycross":2r35rk4h said:

I am so sorry about your calf Vic. I have typed something to say 5 times and I deleted every time as there is nothing to say that will even come close to what I want to say.

I went out to check cows this morning and a coming 6 year old cow was dead, she dropped right where she was standing and she was going to calve any day now.

How about, IT SUCKS !!![/quote]

That pretty much covers it!

Well HD I am so happy that you got your beautiful heifer calf on the ground safely, but sad about your mamma cow that dropped dead! That is horrible. Any ideas of what could have happened?

Glad that you do not have to have the Chemo. :D Praying and wishing you the very best success with your further radiation and surgery. Please keep us posted. We care very much about you. :heart:

3way Also very sorry about your calf. :(

We've all been there, and that's about as much as can be said about it.
4 years ago I lost 2 calves in a row, one I don't know what happened, the other was a malpresentation.. About 10 years ago we had 3 sets of twins in a row too.. all from the same cow family... The first one was borderline premature, and the first cow to calf, she was dead the next day, we gave the calves to a neighbor.. Next one was a WAAY too early, they didn't even have much hair on them yet, and the 3rd only wanted one of them (the sister that aborted took the other)

But it's always heartwarming to see everything work out like Ali :) As long as the twins make up for losses, I consider myself pretty successful.

I'm waiting on Mega now.. she's got some serious flabbybutt, and the udder is about 1/2 full.. She's at 284 days, I figure about another 6-10 days, knowing her slowness

hillsdown":2qve8koa said:
3waycross":2qve8koa said:

How about, IT SUCKS !!!
Sorry about your losses you two, that really SUCKS, no better way of putting it.

HD - Your 'new girl' is sure a 'quality' girl, congrats on the calf!

Black and Good":1h9ybllt said:
Hate to hear about these calves/Cows that were lost. :( Hills, Dandy calf! Hoping all goes well for you. Prayers from KS. B&G

Funny thing is how stuff works out sometimes. We were making plans to pull a 2day old calf off of a crippled cow of my friends when the neighbor calls and says one of his cows just had twin bulls and wouldn't feed one of them. Went over and got the calf($350 worth) and started skinning my dead bull calf in a blizzard. Just at dark we had him wrapped in his new skin and full of her collostrum and bedded down in a foot of straw. Had a real nice heifer out of my 82 cow last night so her fate is sealed. I have a fella who wants to buy her so she is gone this fall.

Sorry for the hijack Hillsdown

HD, glad you got a heifer out of your fancy black girl and all went well.

REALLY glad to hear you don't have to take chemo, although surgery and radiation aren't any walk in the park either.

Sorry about your cow. That had to just make you sick.

Latest posts