Our New Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

DiamondSCattleCo":ffgfj4jh said:
Hmmmm, Murray said when I called him. $3600 or $3700? $3200? Somewhere around in there. Over the 3 grand mark I believe. I

Rod

WOW!! I am glad that we got this guy then, because those prices are WAY out of our range. We are stretching the finances for bulls since we weren't expecting to have to replace 3. Had one fellow that didn't do anything at all last summer, and he was checked out by the vet too.

randiliana":y3mzu0u5 said:
WOW!! I am glad that we got this guy then, because those prices are WAY out of our range. We are stretching the finances for bulls since we weren't expecting to have to replace 3. Had one fellow that didn't do anything at all last summer, and he was checked out by the vet too.

My herd sire was fine too until he got checked by a GOOD vet. Turns out over 20% of his motile semen had detached heads, so he'd fertilize the eggs, and 30-60 days later the cow would kick the embryo out. I thought my yearling bull that I had on my heifers was batting alot of clean up after I brought the herds together, but thought maybe it had something to do with the ergotted hay I had to feed in Sept. Guess not :(

Rod

Good looking bull. TTCLM, Why wouldn't you take a good set of bathroom scales and step up on them holding the calf and then weigh yourself. If you weigh the truck and trailer then drive it home you have lost the weight of the fuel you used on the trip back and forth, so your weight is wrong anyway. :idea:

Bathroom scale would be a better choice I would think. Don't know how far it is to your quarry, but do you allow for fuel used, and etc.? Hauled out of quarries for yrs. and then most scales only weighed in multiples of 10. Probably different now as I'm old as dirt and I've heard they've gotten much more advanced technically. Heard they have a thing you hold to your ear and you can actually talk to people miles away. Gonna get one someday.

DiamondSCattleCo":1av18pmu said:
My herd sire was fine too until he got checked by a GOOD vet. Turns out over 20% of his motile semen had detached heads, so he'd fertilize the eggs, and 30-60 days later the cow would kick the embryo out. I thought my yearling bull that I had on my heifers was batting alot of clean up after I brought the herds together, but thought maybe it had something to do with the ergotted hay I had to feed in Sept. Guess not :(

Rod

Well, I have a lot of confidence in our vet. This bull was a 6 year old hereford, and I think he just decided he wasn't going to do anything for the summer.

randiliana":154aviqp said:
Well, I have a lot of confidence in our vet. This bull was a 6 year old hereford, and I think he just decided he wasn't going to do anything for the summer.

Ugh, our local vet came in and took the RM's vet clinic over. He's from east India and thought it would mean a dog and cat clinic. He's not only not good, he's lazy AND he's scared of the big stock. 90% of the cattlemen haul their stock an extra 45 minutes to the next town over and use the local guy in an emergency only.

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo":3meazwsf said:
Ugh, our local vet came in and took the RM's vet clinic over. He's from east India and thought it would mean a dog and cat clinic. He's not only not good, he's lazy AND he's scared of the big stock. 90% of the cattlemen haul their stock an extra 45 minutes to the next town over and use the local guy in an emergency only.

Rod

That is too bad!! Our guy is local, he was raised in this area. Sadly, though he is 50+ and is looking toward retiring, and he can't find anyone to come out here and replace him (or even work for him). So in a few more years, we will be travelling at least an hour to get to a vet.