Our kids have situation, wondering if anyone else been through it

Help Support CattleToday:

By the time you finish renovating would cost the same as a new house or more and you still have an old house. Benefits are you can do it in stages as you can afford it and shouldn't need any approvals. New is a big cost in one go but you can have the latest technology. I grew up in an old asbestos house with floorboards you could see the ground, collapsing ceilings and it was hotter inside in summer than outside and colder in winter. We burnt wood to keep warm like it was going out of fashion. Now i live in a new house and one little 2.5hp reverse cycle is all we need on the hotest and coldest of days.

I would build new. If I have a place that just needs a little bit of updating done to make it what I want then I would probably do that but when if I have to redo pretty much everything it's getting torn down.

What are these pod things you guys are talking about?

They inherited an old old house that's been remodeled at least twice. It's also had several additional parts added over the years. The house is settling, boards and drywall seams moving. They've been fortunate that they're out of debt, but they think that's going to change. All the work will be contracted. Two ideas, build new or fix old. Leaning towards new because of rate of settlement. Anyone been there? If so what did you choose and would you do the same again? TIA

If the house has a wood frame foundation resting on blocks they can have it re-leveled, but there will likely always be some settling. Using soaker hoses around the outside in dry weather can help with that.

If it's on a slab, I would without a doubt tear it down and start over.

One thing to check on is making sure tearing down won't screw you up as far as anything Grandfathered in. Things such as setbacks or zoning can change over time and a new structure may not be exempt. Otherwise it comes down to money and time. If no attachment to the house it may be a better end game to start over.

If the house has a wood frame foundation resting on blocks they can have it re-leveled, but there will likely always be some settling. Using soaker hoses around the outside in dry weather can help with that.

If it's on a slab, I would without a doubt tear it down and start over.
My oldest sister owned an 'on slab' foundation home in Crosby Texas for many years and was going to sell it about 10 years ago. 3 bdr, 2 car attached garage..a nice place. Slab was cracked badly from a leaking water line under the kitchen and the usual subsidence in that area.
She had it repaired before putting it on market. The crews tunneled all under that house by hand mostly, fixed the leak, jacked the slab up and poured in supporting cement. The place was surrounded by big piles of dirt from the tunnels before they were done. They pumped the concrete in from the roadway. It cost her around $12K if I remember right but she got more than her asking price which covered the cost..

They inherited an old old house that's been remodeled at least twice. It's also had several additional parts added over the years. The house is settling, boards and drywall seams moving. They've been fortunate that they're out of debt, but they think that's going to change. All the work will be contracted. Two ideas, build new or fix old. Leaning towards new because of rate of settlement. Anyone been there? If so what did you choose and would you do the same again? TIA
Pier and beam or built on a slab?

Latest posts