Our first limi baby

Help Support CattleToday:

showmomof2

Reaction score
016.JPG

Both parents registered black limi. Cow obviously didn't have problems. This is her first and the bull is low birthweight.

Red Bull-Paul and I were talking aboutit. She does have alot of red in her pedigree and she is actually more in places than black. Do you have anything that will make a good show animal? Our other limi isn't due till June. She is a nice thick built heifer. Real anxious to see her calf. I was expecting this baby to be coal black, but at the moment she is grey. Is that normal?

If you breed a homozygous black cow to a homozygous red bull what color do you get. Or is their a homozygous red gene?

The Homo Black gene will make the offspring all black.

I was expecting this baby to be coal black, but at the moment she is grey. Is that normal?
That is normal. Most of mine come out the color of chocolate milk around the legs and inside the back legs. Your calf is normal in color. Why did you expect a coal black? If your animals are not homo black you could easily breed two blacks and get a red calf.

Circle H Ranch

The grey might darken up too. Both look healthy, mom doesn't look too distressed! congratulations.

Calf is very normal color for a baby, it will darken in a few days and be black in week. I do have some semen that might just do the trick. I have also got a little bit of semen on a good black bull. I will help you guys out with a few straws.

showmomof2":36h16ebc said:
Red Bull-Paul and I were talking aboutit. She does have alot of red in her pedigree and she is actually more in places than black. Do you have anything that will make a good show animal? Our other limi isn't due till June. She is a nice thick built heifer. Real anxious to see her calf. I was expecting this baby to be coal black, but at the moment she is grey. Is that normal?

Is this for a Limousin show, or is a county or state FFA show....That would make a big difference in the type or breed of semen used. Their are very few Limi bulls that are competive in the open show ring...I dont like it but I didnt make the rules that these judges seem to be using these days... If cows is a thick large framed u would be better crossing her with a small framed Angus bull... That way you can show a calf that is finished and will only weight 1250 pounds

Cute little calf! My son has a limi and she is due April. We can't wait. Raising limi's is so different from our angus.

showmomof2":3fkl0e5p said:
We are raising registered limis and will show them in a limi class.
Lots aluck on that, most any bull I would use and do use ,would not be what the current Limi breeders would want.... They want to make em look like a steer......sorry a bull to me is supposed to look like a bull. Huge crest, massive chest, deep body, muscle.....lots of muscle that is even carried well done the to the point of looking applebutted......The kinda bulls u see on the Limousin websites in France and England

houstoncutter":2vqiy9p0 said:
showmomof2":2vqiy9p0 said:
We are raising registered limis and will show them in a limi class.
Lots aluck on that, most any bull I would use and do use ,would not be what the current Limi breeders would want.... They want to make em look like a steer......sorry a bull to me is supposed to look like a bull. Huge crest, massive chest, deep body, muscle.....lots of muscle that is even carried well done the to the point of looking applebutted......The kinda bulls u see on the Limousin websites in France and England
Please re-think your ideas on bulls. Those apple butted calves are not appealing in the show ring or the sale barn (they get docked -$)

You can select for thickness without having the round apple-butted, quarterhorse look.

Didn't see a apple butt on any one of the three bulls pictured. Put rhat much meat on a black bull and everbody would be all google eyed over how much muscle it had.

Red Bull Breeder":v3ii14zv said:
Didn't see a apple butt on any one of the three bulls pictured. Put rhat much meat on a black bull and everbody would be all google eyed over how much muscle it had.

They kinda remind me of fullbloods. We don't get the neck like that.

Latest posts