Our cows (pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

Gliderider

Reaction score
I just thought I'd post some newer pictures of our kind of new highlands and a couple of the "dairy boys" that we've had for a while.
This is all the cows except the babies. (Yes we only have 6 bovine total)
allthecows.jpg

These are the two babies at 1.5 months
thebabies.jpg

This is Ribeye our gurnesy cross at 8 months
ribeye.jpg

This is T-Bone also at 8 months (Swiss cross)
tbone.jpg

This is the ornery Aubrey, maybe you can tell, she's still a bit under weight.
aubreywalking.jpg

And the girls again
thegirls.jpg

Beautiful udder on old Aubrey. Nice looking scenery you've got around there too, Gliderider. What's land go for in that part of the world?

Thanks!
We got a steal when we bought our property. We got 22 acres for 56k 2 years ago. I'd say now it's about $3,000 to $5,000 per acre. We lease the front pasture for $200 a year, it's around 6 acres. We have to clear about 10 more acres sometime. I'd like to have more pasture. But I don't want to lose all the trees either.

Looks like your highlands are putting on weight nicely. It's amazing what some feed will do. nice looking scenery :D

Thanks! Once the grass comes in we will be cutting off the grain completely. Well maybe just a handfull or two to get them to come up to the barn. The two dairy boys will still be getting grain, but we are trying to fatten them up to sell in May. Now if we could get a little more rain, I'd be set!

Nice pics! :D

What's Ribeye crossed with? I would have guessed straight Holstein.

Do not know how much grass is in the field you took the pics in - but there is not a lot there now. Those animals will be keeping it trimmed right short - maybe too short.

By simply looking at the pics and not knowing what you have for backup grass, I would suggest you need to keep feeding hay for a bit.

They chew it down much further and it will turn into a weed patch by the end of summer.

Bez!

You know I thought they guy that sold the dairy boys to us said Gurnsey, but I'm not 100% on that. I guess he's probably holstein, doesn't matter either way to us. Will it matter at the market? Other than to keep the guys at the salebarn from laughing at me for trying to pass him off as a gurnsey??? LOL

Bez- your right, there isn't much there right now. We got a little more rain this weekend and things are perking up. We have smaller a front pasture that is a sacrifice lot. (Just the grass not the animals. ;-) ) We'll keep haying them until it gets taller. We will also be re-doing the pastures totally this fall. We'll have to feed hay again all winter, but once we get really good pasture, and with good pasture management we shouldn't have to buy hay anymore. (Mother nature permitting)

Considering picture #6 - that is the first cow I have ever seen that had four horns! Those two in the middle look like a strong wind hit her when they were just buttoning out! Man! - she could sure do a job on you when you tagged her calf! :shock:

DOC HARRIS

Well hubby found out the hard way that she's pretty darned protective. Roped the calf when Aubrey was loose and she went after him. Luckily she's older and not too fast. Well, not as fast as hubby was at that moment. I guess next time he'll listen to me when I tell him not to mess with the baby without momma penned up. (Doubt it!)

Looks like your Highlands have but on some weight since you bought them. Glad things seem to be working out well for you.

Latest posts