Our Calving seaon so far

Help Support CattleToday:

Good job catching the repeats! I've heard of so many producers that end up with no calves because the bull wasn't doing HIS job & the producer wasn't doing HIS job - watching & keeping track of things.
Thanks for the update - glad to hear your herd is doing well.
Our breeding season is over, so now it's just eat & sh$$$ - calves are growing like weeds.
Working with our showstring now. (and finding time to go FISHING in our canoe!!! :banana: :banana: )

Good looking calves Nesi. I know up north you guys have bigger calves; 140 pounds is twice the size of mine at birth! I can't remember reading any info, but I wonder if calf size has an effect on moma longevity?

calving a calf that size can be hard on a cow. Doesn't matter if the climate is warm or cold. A calf like that most likey will delay breed breed back even if oxytocin is used. And that spells $ lost down the road.
We like calves between 70-85# depending on cow or hiefer

the mother seems to be doing just fine... I'll tell you in 2 weeks if she was bred back on the first try... she's nice and fat, so I don't see why not....

BTW, do any of you canadians here get the Farm credit journal? there was a dairy farmer in ontario with some chocolate brown/white cows which looked really nice, and of course they didn't say what breed they were.. grumbles... my dad was thinking ayshire (spelling?)

Well, we're closing in on weaning time, unfortunately I don't have pics of the calves as they stand now, but they're all pretty nice looking, minus a couple shrimps, Paco, the big guy, last born is nearly the biggest one out there, and lazy as heck, we'll keep 3 heifers of 5 this year, Maddy is the biggest of them and looks great, the cow that aborted and adopted the calf from the dry cow will land herself in the freezer in a month... I'll give you an update on weights after we sell them, I figure the heavy ones will be 700 lbs, and the 2 light steers will be 500

anyhow, I'm short on internet time, I will check in when I can

cheers all, and good luck this fall