Our Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Jovid

Reaction score
117.jpg

135.jpg

This is our 6 year old bull that we raised. I think he is in pretty good shape for just eating hay an a little protein this winter

203.jpg

This is a three year old son out of the above bull.

3waycross":31midyk7 said:
Jovid
I like the son a lot. Great depth and muscling.

All of his calves have the same muscle. The calf in the middle is 3 weeks old and out of him.

121.jpg

Jovid":3kj67fql said:
3waycross":3kj67fql said:
Jovid

All of his calves have the same muscle. The calf in the middle is 3 weeks old and out of him.

121.jpg

Nice calves. One of these days we will have to see how they cross on Gelbvieh. I sure like that color red. You are right on that calf. Man I like that stifle muscle, father and son.

KNERSIE":2373iwzr said:
Jovid, is the 3 year old the bull I liked as a yearling?

Yes it is the same bull. He has continued to get better with age.

3waycross":10c38k9j said:
Jovid":10c38k9j said:
3waycross":10c38k9j said:
Jovid

121.jpg

Nice calves. One of these days we will have to see how they cross on Gelbvieh. I sure like that color red. You are right on that calf. Man I like that stifle muscle, father and son.

I think it would be a great cross as they would compliment each other. What most people don't realize is the genetic consistency in the Red Polls is superior to other breeds. One reason for that is we have stayed a "pure" breed and not tried to change the breed by adding the preferred "color". Sorry just had to say that. :lol2:

Well it makes sense though. If you changed to the "prefered" color you would have to call them Anus.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3ubnfz3a said:
Were the Red Polls imported in - with no upgrading program?

They were brought to the US in the late 1800s just like the other British breeds (Shorthorn, Hereford, & Angus). The American Red Poll Association was started in 1883 and I believe that is the same year that the Angus Association was formed here in the US.

We have allowed appendix registry for anything less than 100% Full-blood and it is indicated on the papers as such. So there has been no upgrading like other breeds.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":27n4stw4 said:
That's interesting. How much of a gene pool do you have within the breed? I don't think I have ever seen any semen listing in bull catalogs.

In the overall scheme of things compared to other breeds we have a small gene pool. There was some line breeding done and we are doing a little today. The smaller gene pool does attribute to the genetic consistency amongst the breed and the hybrid vigor they create when they are used in a cross breeding program. We can look at our calves and tell which bull they are out of.

More people are starting to realize that as we are selling more bulls to be used on commercial herds and to produce F1s

Purdue University and MARC used to have big Red Poll herds that they used for research.

We have semen for sale on both of the above bulls. In fact we are sending selling semen to some folks in Fulton NY to use on their Angus and Belted Galloways.

Nice bulls Mr. John,its hard to tell from a photo but to me they favor the Rolex bulls from Esquire Cattle.
Yours and Phil's, very good indeed.

curtis":1s0rs8os said:
Nice bulls Mr. John,its hard to tell from a photo but to me they favor the Rolex bulls from Esquire Cattle.
Yours and Phil's, very good indeed.

Our bulls are a little different as they have a little more muscle, depth of body and spring of rib. The reason they look alike is we both raise cattle that can survive on grass and produce a calf that will hang well on the rail.