OUCH! Broken horn

Help Support CattleToday:

grubbie

Reaction score
My little longhorn heifer bull has a broken horn. It appears to be broken right at the top of his head. You can see where the skin has cracked open. I havent gotten a real up close look at it yet, and don't really want to run him through the chute and take a chance on making it worse. He won't stick his head in the hayring but is eating fine. When the hay gets low I push it up where he can reach by just sticking his nose through. Anyway, I see no infection, he is not distancing himself from the other bulls, acting completely normal, slobberin and bellerin at cows two fences away, eating fine. Doesn't seem to be bothering him at all. Anything else I should be looking at here?
By the way, these arent full length horns, cut them off at ear length.

If you can it would probably be best to get a look at it so you can clean it out-its when it gets infected that it will be a problem. Keep an eye on it and get at it if you can.

grubbie":2swpeu2v said:
My little longhorn heifer bull has a broken horn. It appears to be broken right at the top of his head. You can see where the skin has cracked open. I havent gotten a real up close look at it yet, and don't really want to run him through the chute and take a chance on making it worse. He won't stick his head in the hayring but is eating fine. When the hay gets low I push it up where he can reach by just sticking his nose through. Anyway, I see no infection, he is not distancing himself from the other bulls, acting completely normal, slobberin and bellerin at cows two fences away, eating fine. Doesn't seem to be bothering him at all. Anything else I should be looking at here?
By the way, these arent full length horns, cut them off at ear length.

Life goes on.

As a guy who raises HH I can tell you it happens and it happens more often than folks realize.

If you want - you have some choices - here is what we usually do.

1. Cut it off - if you want to - sometimes we do this depending on the type and condition of the break.

2. If you want to keep it - for your info - they do heal. Just like a finger nail - which in essense is what it is. You can put him in the squeeze and not run him into the head gate and look at it. We spray the wounds with a spray called Bleu - which is an over the counter wound powder - I am sure there are several other equivalents out there on the market. It also coats the wound and keeps the flies off. If you are really concerned you can give this critter a shot of the antibiotic of your choice as well - it will not hurt him. Leave him alone after this and he will do just fine.

3. Or you can do what often works just as well - neglect it - let nature take it's course. This often works just fine as well.

Regards

Bez

Bez+":1m150wkf said:
We spray the wounds with a spray called Bleu - which is an over the counter wound powder - I am sure there are several other equivalents out there on the market. It also coats the wound and keeps the flies off.

That sounds like a product I used to get called 'Wonder Dust' made by Farnham. Really good stuff.

Katherine

Latest posts