Other jobs

Help Support CattleToday:

Back in the early 80's I split and hauled firewood. I'd load a 3/4 ton Chevy truck by hand and hand stack it when I got there. I remember the Saturday I did 11 loads by myself.. I thought I'd made a fortune ! I think I had about $200 in my pocket.

TheBullLady":1v8ppxez said:
Back in the early 80's I split and hauled firewood. I'd load a 3/4 ton Chevy truck by hand and hand stack it when I got there. I remember the Saturday I did 11 loads by myself.. I thought I'd made a fortune ! I think I had about $200 in my pocket.
Every winter when I order my firewood thats how they still do it in Arizona. Be nice to get my own on the new place. Ill be lookin for a Stihl dealer pretty quick !

I've done so many rough jobs I can't remember 'em all, but I did haul hay without a loader most of the time, scooped chicken litter and rabbit dung, and a number of other things including pulling nails. One of my least favorite jobs is changing out a toilet, which I have done two or three times through the years. Below that is unclogging sewer lines. Oh, and has anyone else ever loaded and hauled rock? Of course cutting and hauling firewood is no picnic either.

We used to have to "pick" rocks. Before dad plowed a field we had to pick up the rocks and throw them in a little wagon. Then we had to unload those rocks in the fence row or the edge of the woods. Lord help anyone that ever trys to clear out the fence on that farm!

We also had to use the same little wagon and pick up the ears of corn that fell off the corn shocks. Lots of walking. Shock the corn, then walk the field again and pick up the ears. Never did figure out why we couldn't pick rocks, shock corn and gather ears of corn all at the same time!!!

Ok boys I need someone or lots of someones to split up all this wood. 13 more loads to go. Think of it as getting back to your roots. Ah the quiet life. Except for the bruses on your body and when you grumble for getting bumped/hit. The gals can sit back and look at the fall scenery.

Menial jobs...wasn't long ago to remember that - today. But it keeps us from freezing during the winter. Not so menial. Menial jobs = character building. Wouldn't trade it for town life anytime. Well except maybe for a few days when it's minus 30 and I have to feed and nothing starts. But only a few days then I'd feel closed in.

CT.jpg

Oh, and has anyone else ever loaded and hauled rock?

A couple of summers ago, we (two of us) picked up rocks from the pastures(lots of rock in north central texas, deer hunting land), and built a wall about 3 1/2 feet high by 35 yards long. Not 2 days after completion of the wall, my boss decided to used railroad ties for the wall instead of the rock. So, we got to relocate the rocks and rebuild the wall out of railroad ties.

This was two weeks before the two of us got to haul and stack approx. 2000 small square bails, just the two of us.

Thanks everyone for sharing your stories!!!! I love to hear them!!!!
Speaking of firewood: We cut and sell firewood part time. We do all of the cutting, hauling, splitting, stacking. Just this last year we broke down and bought a gas powered splitter after my fiance accidently fit my finger with a sledge hammer as we were manually splitting the wood. I thought I was gonna die! That was the best investment - it paid for itself in a week. We sell to 3 BBQ joints and miscellanious peolpe for BBQ wood and firewood. It is ALOT of work!

We have been hauling rock for the driveway for the last 2 weeks, We have a dump trailer so it's not too bad but we are having to spread it by hand with shovels. One load they got too full and the trailer wouldn't dump, so guess what? We had to shovel out that load by hand. We have got probably 20 tons of rock spread so far.

I am so tired of that driveway! :(

I have had a few of those days at work. I remember as a teenager working on a minnow farm for little of nothing. There were days that we literally broke ice with our bare feet. Sometimes we would wear thermals under our shorts, but that was more of a fluke than a rule. I remember pulling morning glory and cow itch vines out of culivators with it 100 plus and blister bugs, mosquitos, and deer flies eating you alive.

I look forward everyday to returning to that life full time.

JB

Our Dad decided it would build character and help drain some land if we removed 3/4 mile of fenceline ,stone piles and trees by hand.That was one major accomplishment that summer.We cut the trees for firewood,filled in an old smaller gravel pit with the stone off that fenceline.

Our pay was a roof over our heads :lol: