Other interests

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
I'm curious as to what people here enjoy doing outside the farm/ranch/hunting-fishing spectrum. It doesn't have to be earth shattering, but just simple things you enjoy. Maybe you like golf, stamp collecting, karaoke, dining out, wood working, or collecting old records.

Outside the ranch or hunting and fishing hmmmmmm........ Is there anything worth while outside the ranch or hunting and fishing?

There is a lot of history here. The Oregon Trail went right through here and there was a big gold rush in the 1860's. On Sundays in the summer the wife and I go check out local historical points. We try to take one more extended road trip a year. Didn't go anywhere last year. In 2019 we went to Yellowstone and the Little Bighorn battle field. The bucket list includes the NFR, Mt Rushmore, and the Grand Canyon. Maybe Alaska and the Canadian Rockies one day. Between rodeo and family vacations as a kid I have been all over the west but the wife has never gone anywhere. There is a lot to see within a day or two drive.

I stumbled upon Cattle Today,and that has become my hobby. I love to upland hunt, don't have time. When I get home at night. I grab the tablet and check out what's going on here. My daughter thinks it's great that I have joined modern society and have "internet friends"

We take a week long family vacation every year to the gulf, usually somewhere between Gulf Shores,Alabama- Navarre beach, Florida. The wife used to go yearly with her female teacher friends and always tried to talk me into going on vacation there, never really thought I'd enjoy it but I finally gave in about 8 years ago and I loved it so we go every year now. This will be the first year without our son as he's married now and they've got their own thing going. We rent a condo right on the beach with a gulf view, drink coffee on the balcony in the morning and sit on the beach the rest of the day, maybe drink a few margaritas or a few beers, watch people, cool off in the gulf if we want, nothing special but just relax.
When the weathers nice we also like to get out and ride back roads on Sunday afternoons after church. Usually don't venture more than about 20 miles from the house but see if there's anything new going on. We generally are happy just being together and not having to do anything, we're pretty frugal so we don't go and do alot other than the once a year vacation, but we're content with that.

The Little Bighorn battlefields was one of my favorite places I have ever visited on a vacation. What made it special was the park ranger who did about a 30 minute narrative of how it all went down. There was about 75 people in the group that he spoke too and there was complete silence from start to finish. It was a fascinating recollection of history. I highly recommend it if you are in the Yellowstone area.

my wife and I like to motorcycle ride once the weather warms up. right now I work my 8 hr day job and take care of the cows/calves after work. my wife is a good artist and enjoys craft projects. she watches the cows during the day during calving season. we were planning on a trip to Hawaii for our 40th wedding anniversary this past Feb. but that didn't happen because of COVID. Wife likes taking care of the yard with landscaping projects, flowers, grass cutting, and all the stuff associated with the yard. Soon I will have field work to do and spend time on my hobby farm (always something to do.)

The Little Bighorn battlefields was one of my favorite places I have ever visited on a vacation. What made it special was the park ranger who did about a 30 minute narrative of how it all went down. There was about 75 people in the group that he spoke too and there was complete silence from start to finish. It was a fascinating recollection of history. I highly recommend it if you are in the Yellowstone area.
I have been to Yellowstone a bunch of times. The wife had never been there. We went about the 20th of September. Figured the crowds wouldn't be bad and the weather still good. Wrong on both counts. A ton of people and it snowed. I am remembering going through there in May. If I were to go again that is when I would do it. Cody is a stop to make if you are in the area.

love to sit and read my Bible.

Antique tractors, but that's farm related.

Hung my saddle on the wall about a year and a half ago. Kids have their license now, so I guess I'm weaned of rodeo/roping.

Besides quail hunting, and trapping, I like building and tweaking PC's. To poor on money and time to build hot rods, so I build hot rod pcs.
Next one in the works is a AMD R7 5800x, and some kind of nvidia gpu if I can actually get one.

love to sit and read my Bible.

Antique tractors, but that's farm related.

Hung my saddle on the wall about a year and a half ago. Kids have their license now, so I guess I'm weaned of rodeo/roping.
My main calf horse died a few years back,,,,give my other two , to my girl friend, which I no longer have either thank goodness ..

I enjoy music. I could rattle on and share music, such as on our recent country music thread, all day. I probably have 600 albums in vinyl, cassettes, and CDs. With streaming, however, I haven't bought one in several years. I like to gather with musicians to play and sing. I enjoy eating out and spending time with family and friends.

Besides quail hunting, and trapping, I like building and tweaking PC's. To poor on money and time to build hot rods, so I build hot rod pcs.
Next one in the works is a AMD R7 5800x, and some kind of nvidia gpu if I can actually get one.
Building PC s use to be a hobby of mine. My first PC I bought in the early 80s an 8086 processor running DOS, with 5 1/4 floppies, 10 mb HD and cost over $2000 then. The IBM PC 1 I used at work then did not even have a HD. My current PC is an AMD Ryzen 7 4700G I have had a couple years and I have some older backups. I use to build my PC s and then sell in a year or two and build better. Now a package deal already assembled like I want is cheaper than I can build.

When I have time I like working on junk. I can get in my little world, concentrate and 8/10 hours passes in what seems like 2. Some brands I don't like working on as much and some not worth fixing, but I have not seen a 2-cycle engine I can't figure out and fix.
[h3][/h3]

Last edited:
Just ta keep the brain cells alive winter time fool around with building pc's or anything electronic. I'm the neighborhood tecky round here. Gardening and growing anything I can just ta see if it will above the 64th parallel. built new amd rysen 5+3500 last feb, hard ta get parts rite now tho

When time allows, I'm big into sports and attending sporting events. I'm in Oregon, and my wife and I have season tickets for Oregon State University football, partial season tickets for OSU men's and women's basketball, try to go to a few OSU baseball games (three NCAA national championships since 2007!) in the spring, though that is a challenge with calving and getting fields ready for graxing and hay, and maybe a trip to Portland once or tice for a Trail Blazers game or a WHL hockey game. Also love music and going to concerts; fishing and crabbing on the Oregon Coast; and taking drives around the Pacific Northwest. We have some amazing country out here in the northwest corner of the USA!

I play a little guitar and and am pecking away at a Master's in Theological Studies from Reformed Theological Seminary (RTS-Global). I have recently stopped all forms of journalism (used to do a lot of ag writing, as well as sports, feature, and political subdivision beats). I fill pulpit once a month for a friend who serves with the North Dakota National Guard Chaplaincy. My wife will retire this spring after 41 years as a school speech therapist. After that, who knows!? But I don't think we will travel much -- hard to justify when you already live in "exotic" North Dakota.
I'm curious as to what people here enjoy doing outside the farm/ranch/hunting-fishing spectrum. It doesn't have to be earth shattering, but just simple things you enjoy. Maybe you like golf, stamp collecting, karaoke, dining out, wood working, or collecting old records

Latest posts