Osteopetrosis

Help Support CattleToday:

redcowsrule33

Reaction score
Anyone else really concerned about BUF CRK Romeo L081 showing up on the carrier list? He was in the top ten for registrations last year and there are a ton of progeny out there.

The pedigree on the dams side is much more alarming than Romeo himself. I hope someone is testing 1658 progeny to determine if he is the culprit or exactly where it does come from. It sure puts a lot of ? in some pedigrees until they find where the problem originated.

I agree - 1658 is the closest common denominator of the four listed so far. Considering how pervasive he is in the breed (Grand Canyon, Cherokee Canyon, and himself to name a few) I hope they are able to get a genetic test soon. The only good thing about a recessive gene is that we only have to cull the carriers and thus clean up the breed without losing bloodlines completely. The bad part is it can be hard to identify the genetic marker (if there is only one that is associated with the disease). I was hoping it was just a point mutation in the Primrose cow but it doesn't look like that will be the case.

I am just surprised that this has stayed so quiet. The implications could be expensive if breeders have a "don't ask/don't tell" attitude. I have heard through other channels that ABS has halted semen sales on Romeo but you wouldn't know there's a thing wrong looking at their website.

The RAAA needs to do some quick, broad education for seedstock and cow/calf people alike so we all are on the same page.

Latest posts