OSHA on the Farm

Help Support CattleToday:

On the subject of OSHA on the farm if they see something unsafe from the road the answer is yes. Now if they can do anything after they stop is another matter. It all depends on whether the crew is a hired by a contractor or family members along with many other things. It would serve all of us to become more aware of the privledges that the OSHA inspectors have. I don't know for certain but the way that I interpret it once a farm incorporates it changes the family exemption and they are treated just like any other business but are under agricultural guidelines.
It was written in a book by Larry Burkett that a congressman ordered a copy of all the guidelines that were encompassed by OSHA regulations and the aid came back to report that if they were to deliver it where would he put it since it would be more than a semi trailer.

Caustic Burno":3116o0l7 said:
pdfangus":3116o0l7 said:
Well I am a hard and fast state righter ......

but we lost the war over that nearly a 150 years ago....

the modern liberals will tell you all day long it was just about slavery.....but the war was over states rights.

federalism won.

now we have federalism unionized and subsidized by the nanny state.

Just because Lee gave up don't mean we have to.

Liberals don't like talking about Maryland as slave state and Federal troops shooting civilans in the streets of Baltimore.

all ancient history CB.....fact is we lost...

pdfangus":fdog1y3e said:
Well I am a hard and fast state righter ......

but we lost the war over that nearly a 150 years ago....

the modern liberals will tell you all day long it was just about slavery.....but the war was over states rights.

federalism won.

now we have federalism unionized and subsidized by the nanny state.

Yes indeed. The war had already started, a few years later came the emancipation proclamation. Not the other way around. The war was never about slavery.

A parent has a real responsibility when a child is working for you. Teach safety from the beginning as priority #1. I was plowing with an 8N Ford at a very early age. I never felt I was in danger and I was so freaking proud. You can't take that away from kids. Yes, a few kids will get hurt and a few will die. It's tragic when that happens. Does it outweigh the ten or hundreds of thousands of kids who don't get experience working? I'll say the benefit outweighs the risk. We can't keep them in bubbles.
Since this is Cattle Today, most injuries in the cattle biz seem to be old men feeding Bulls. Does the Labor Dept need to regulate that? I call overturned tractors "old farmers disease". The old guys want every foot of that pond bank mowed, they forget the loader is still rising when hauling hay on the front end, they screw up in general. No one should have to do the dangerous work farmers commit to do, but it's going to get done and kids, when they get some experience, are better at it than old guys.[/quote]

Ok about ten years ago two young farthers close to me were killed one by a bull, and the other when the tractor sliped into a pond full of water. Guess they were old men?

I am sure that the fact that I was moving bales from the time I was nealy the same size they were really helped my back.

felt safe driving as well, but I have only let my own childern in a tractor with a cab.

Latest posts