orphaned holstein calves

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

My boys (I) have 4 holstein calves. They seem to be ill every time I turn around. One looks weak today, then a different one tomorrow. I am feeding a milk replacer using 3/4 of the measuring cup with 2 quarts of water. I just got one over the scours, now another has a cough!! I gave each a dose of OXY200. What else can I do??!!

[email protected]

> My boys (I) have 4 holstein
> calves. They seem to be ill every
> time I turn around. One looks weak
> today, then a different one
> tomorrow. I am feeding a milk
> replacer using 3/4 of the
> measuring cup with 2 quarts of
> water. I just got one over the
> scours, now another has a cough!!
> I gave each a dose of OXY200. What
> else can I do??!!

I don't know much, but I lost two holstein calves within the last month. As I get more experienced in observing problems I will know to get them to a vet as soon as I notice anything wrong. My suggestion is to get them to a vet a.s.a.p.

[email protected]

learning in progress here raised 10 last year,no problems there,November bought 8 lost 4 same as you scours and cough vet thought it was pneumonia first gave la 200 nothing there even got nuflor gave shots scours pill scour milk elecrolytes you name it. They got better then worse more shots within a week lost those 4 other 4 never got sick doing great so really cant help but I think once little ones get down like that nothing will help,buts thats just my experience.

>Make sure the calves get adiquate colostrum within the first couple of days of birth. But now since these calves are older, when they start scouring try putting them on electrolytes for a couple of days and not milk. This will give them added energy. Plus make sure the calves are getting the same amount of milk every day. Getting a little more one day may cause a bit of scouring. Give them scour bolus's and a shot of Borgal or Neuflor. For pneumonia, I have found Neuflor or Borgal the best for calves. Also make sure they are in dry pens with fresh straw. I work at a dairy barn part time in the spring, fall and winter, and full time in the summer. I look after over 35 holstein calves generally all the time (new ones coming in everyday and generally weaning some once a week). I've had most scour within the 2 week of birth, but after that they are good, never lost one in 3 yrs that I've been working. We give colostrum for 2 days after birth. In the summer we wean off milk at 72 days and in the winter its generally around 90 days. Calves are fed a bottle of milk in morning then again at night and a bottle of water around noon.

I think JO's advise is right on target,one thing we always done is after the colostrum first given,we would crush up 1/2 a tablet for scours and put it in there first bottle of milk supplement, to prevent scours as a precaution,and then they were on there way.Like JO said 1 bottle milk in early morning,1 bottle water at noon is very important,and 1 bottle of milk in after noon,try to keep feedings same time each and every day.Starting the 3rd week we would start putting a little calf mannia in there mouths to give them a taste,and some good hay out to there reach,keeping fresh water in there pins as well. It is very important to keep a fork handy keeping there pins cleaned out daily,and having them out of the wind in good dry shelter. We would start out with a layer of sawdust shavings,and then a layer of staw or hay on top of that,in there barn stalls and then after about a week we would let them out of the stall,into the lot joining it,on pretty days for a little exercise."Make sure you keep there inviorment clean, don't let them lay in their on crap,keep it shevoled out each day".We had no problems as long as we stayed on this rutein.

[email protected]

Latest posts