Origin of "Redneck" term.

Help Support CattleToday:

andybob

Reaction score
Where does the term "Redneck" originate?
In Southern Africa, the Boers (literally farmers) referred to the British soldiers as 'Rooi nekke' (Rednecks) due to their having sunburned necks after arriving in South Africa, the term is still applied to people from Britain.
I am interested to know the origins of the term locally.

Andybob":upqthf4k said:
Where does the term "Redneck" originate?
In Southern Africa, the Boers (literally farmers) referred to the British soldiers as 'Rooi nekke' (Rednecks) due to their having sunburned necks after arriving in South Africa, the term is still applied to people from Britain.
I am interested to know the origins of the term locally.

It is my understanding that the term 'redneck' results from people having to work in the sun (for whatever reason) and the sunburned neck that follows.

Believe it started being used in this country during the West Virginia Coal Mine Wars.

Thousands of miners gathered in Marmet, a village on the Kanawha River ten miles upstream from Charleston, later that month. At that time, the main roads and railways from the Charleston area to Logan and Mingo Counties departed into the hills from that point. Labor leaders such as "Mother" Jones begged and even lied to the miners to prevent violence. However, the miners arrived and organized along military lines (many of them having served in the First World War.) They created a system of communication and passwords that no participant ever revealed, even to historians many decades later. In addition, to distinguish themselves from people uninvolved they wore red kerchiefs around their necks (perhaps providing the origin of the word "redneck.") They also assembled commissary wagons and brought along clergy and medical personnel.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... l-mine.htm

msscamp":7y2p3u7l said:
It is my understanding that the term 'redneck' results from people having to work in the sun (for whatever reason) and the sunburned neck that follows.

Me and mine agree with Msscamp. Necks were red from chopping cotton in the hot sun. I claim to be a redneck by birth.

Guess it had other origins and meaning elsewhere.

ALACOWMAN":k2o06jlb said:
Look in the dictionary the meaning is right beside the photo's of crowder & flaboy :cboy:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You can call me a Redneck anytime you want. Makes me feel flattered. I can remember my Mom, teaching us the words to Dixie, when we were knee high to a Grasshopper. Recently my Son wanted to know who "Little Black Sambo" was...My Mom used to read us all those stories. (retired School teacher) The other day she tried to deny we ever owned the books. Then she suddenly remmembered. :shock: Can you imagine that book in an Elementary School Library today?

ALACOWMAN":33mbbm1s said:
Look in the dictionary the meaning is right beside the photo's of crowder & flaboy :cboy:

Well, I'm a trying. Problem is my GF has all her teeth and I don't hunt out of season. Snowbird season is open year round. :lol:

Crowderfarms":3vwmuwbe said:
You can call me a Redneck anytime you want. Makes me feel flattered. I can remember my Mom, teaching us the words to Dixie, when we were knee high to a Grasshopper. Recently my Son wanted to know who "Little Black Sambo" was...My Mom used to read us all those stories. (retired School teacher) The other day she tried to deny we ever owned the books. Then she suddenly remmembered. :shock: Can you imagine that book in an Elementary School Library today?
hey crowder you aint gon throw me in dat dar briar patch is ye ;-)

ALACOWMAN":635o1l7q said:
Crowderfarms":635o1l7q said:
Nah. But I might let that Tiger chase you around the tree a few times. Fresh Butter. :lol:

ALACOWMAN":2qdy4mpy said:

Oh I think Crowder has the welcome mat rolled all out for some folks for the GETOGETHER. I hear he is inviting all his X's and plans to have them sit on some of the folks that crossed him if they show. ;-)

flaboy+":1iivr7ov said:
ALACOWMAN":1iivr7ov said:

Oh I think Crowder has the welcome mat rolled all out for some folks for the GETOGETHER. I hear he is inviting all his X's and plans to have them sit on some of the folks that crossed him if they show. ;-)
Aint gonna happen. They'll be in their stalls down at the bottom barn. This will be good clean fun. Please dont offer them any cubes while you are here. There will be signs posted.

Crowderfarms":h7pmopv5 said:
flaboy+":h7pmopv5 said:
ALACOWMAN":h7pmopv5 said:

Aint gonna happen. They'll be in their stalls down at the bottom barn. This will be good clean fun. Please dont offer them any cubes while you are here. There will be signs posted.
dang it i was hoping you would put on a siminar on how to skin a possum and make some corn squeezins :p

I aint no redneck, I am a proud Appalachian American, I just haven't figured out what kinda symbles to put on my tshirts or hat.

As for the corn squeezins......I got that covered ;-) but I don't squeeze nothin,,,,I cooks it all off. :p :cboy:

ALACOWMAN":94rdink2 said:
Crowderfarms":94rdink2 said:
flaboy+":94rdink2 said:
ALACOWMAN":94rdink2 said:

dang it i was hoping you would put on a siminar on how to skin a possum and make some corn squeezins :p
ALACOWMAN. You know how to skin a possum dont you? With a 16" tire! How bout some pork cracklins'?

Crowderfarms":udorex92 said:

I have never know what the problem is with the story "Little Black Sambo" Simply a sweet little childrens story about a boy in India.

cherokeeruby'":3np0u6rl said:
Crowderfarms":3np0u6rl said:

I have never know what the problem is with the story "Little Black Sambo" Simply a sweet little childrens story about a boy in India.
The politically correct folks say it's discrimination against Blacks, and another one of those "Southern" assaults against them.

Crowderfarms":30zutnlz said:
cherokeeruby'":30zutnlz said:
Crowderfarms":30zutnlz said:

The politically correct folks say it's discrimination against Blacks, and another one of those "Southern" assaults against them.

So they never noticed that he is in India, not America? He is not even of African descent, there are many very dark Asian-Indians.

Maybe all of us Rednecks ought to kick up a fuss and say people can't say "redneck" anymore. They have got to say the "R" word instead of redneck.
I mean we are still the same, but we could do this to get attention.